The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
70short/step

California people

Just received this from Summit Racing Products.....
ACT NOW TO STOP THE CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS EXEMPTION REPEAL BILL!

On Friday, August 27, the California Legislature approved a bill known as A.B. 2683. This bill would repeal the state`s current pro-hobbyist emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older. It includes amendments that do not protect car collectors and is being opposed by SEMA and the major car organizations in California. This bill would require:

* All vehicles with post-1975 model year insured as collector cars (driven only to parades and exhibitions), and at least 35-years old to continue in the Smog Check program for the life of the vehicle.

* Revisions to the Smog Check testing regimen for these qualifying vehicles, including a tailpipe test, functional inspection of the fuel cap, and a visual inspection for fuel leaks. The vehicle would also be forced to comply with the exhaust emissions standards for the vehicle`s class and model year as prescribed by California regulators.

CONTACT YOUR GOVERNOR TODAY!

The bill is now in the hands of the Governor who can choose to veto it or sign it into law. We urge you to contact the Governor immediately to request his veto of A.B. 2683! He can be reached at:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
FAX: 916-445-4633
E-mail: www.govmail.ca.gov

A THREAT TO YOUR HOBBY!

Despite assurances from the bill`s sponsors that a good faith effort would be made to address hobbyist concerns, this bill continues to betray the trust of the collector car community. Here`s how:

* HIGH COST: This bill could be far costlier and even more burdensome to vehicle collectors.

* ARBITRARY GUIDELINES: Regulators could set emissions standards to any level that suits their purposes in order to ensure inspection failures.

* UNLIMITED POWERS: Nothing in this bill would stop regulators from bringing 1975 and older vehicles back into the Smog Check program at a later date.

STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!

Again, we urge you contact the Governor`s office at the address or fax number listed above. Here are some talking points to include:

* California`s current law recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on emissions and air quality.

* Vehicles 30 years-old and older make up a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

* Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

Legislators, regulators, and stationary source polluters are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. Don`t let your hobby carry the burden of their mistakes--contact the Governor`s office today!
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
skokie

Great this thing again. Why cant they leave the classic cars and trucks alone.
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
skokie

Here is the link to the bill itself.
http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Sent Arnold a e-mail
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I remember before the exemption of the bill, alot of clean old California vehicles would end up in Nevada because smog regulations were so strict. They need to stop flip-flopping on this and do what's right for the enthusiast!!! Doesn't take long to see that Arnold is on the payroll for the new car dealers in California. I wonder how much they are paying him??? Come on Arnold......do the right thing!!!

Last edited by gonebad2; 08-31-2004 at 10:30 PM.
gonebad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
pritch

Utah currently has 4 counties that test for emissions. I live in one of the 25 that does not. . I feel for you guys, though. California is so broke that I would guess that this is as much for the money as anything else. My friend was in San Deigo a couple weeks ago and got a ticket for illegal u turn. $360.00 fine. I think that is
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:38 AM   #7
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

isnt arnold too busy at the GOP convention to read your emails?

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:48 AM   #8
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

If Arnold doesn't read it, I'll be forced to thrash him....LOL....Yeah Right!!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 01:36 AM   #9
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

E-mail sent.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:07 AM   #10
71 Blazer CST man
Account Suspended

Let me get this straight. I dont need to meet smog since my blazers a 71 and i'm in CA. This is know. IF what youre sayying changes, they "could" decide EVERYONE must be smogged again?
Quote:
Nothing in this bill would stop regulators from bringing 1975 and older vehicles back into the Smog Check program at a later date.
If this is the case, and they ever did such a thing, then i dont see how anyone (like me) in that position could do anything to make there vehichle "legal"? I have dual exhaust running straight out the back. I have mufflers, but could get away with out them. If i didnt get in crap for noise, i'd be home free. So if i had to comply with "smog" laws, i'd have to get a "smog pump" and or Cat. converter?

I dont think so! They dont even make that crap for our trucks (oh wait, now tell me they do....).... and even if so, i know there are other classics they dont. What would they say....... "your classic must have a custom/aftermarket exhaust designed just for it, to be "smog legal", hence "road legal"??? Maybe i dont get it...if so...No way man!
71 Blazer CST man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #11
truck69

Thank goodness they dont have that testing here in MI. I was just out to CA. a few weeks ago and saw so many of those Smog testing places. It was like 7-11's on every street corner. Their everywhere. My brother in law says all of that is pretty much a rip off. Just another way to get money for the state.

Truck69
truck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #12
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I have not read the text yet, but sounds like they are trying to do away with the rolling 30 year smog exeption. Currently when the model year hits 30 years old it is exempt. So a 1980 vehicle just needs to wait till 2010 to be home free. If they did away with the rolling exemption, vehicles 76 and newer will never be smog free. I am against this bill because I don't want to open the door even a crack for the idiots at the air resources board.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #13
landon4421
Life is Good !

Jay just got done asking arnold about killing that bill Hopefully it will go good for us guys !

I think there are too many big wig car owners, And that have the cash to help this one get cut again !
'14 Honda Accord Sport "commuter"
landon4421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:55 PM   #14
CHEVYE
my gas saver

i don`t know how anyone lives in california. no offense to you guys that do. the gun laws alone would kill me. we do subcontracting work here in tn for orchard supply hardware and sears. all of your permits for building and inspections are 2 or 3 times more expensive than anywhere else in the country. you guys must make $25 an hour working at mcdonalds to afford all of this stuff.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:31 PM   #15
69sixpackbee

I'm not worried. My 69 Super Bee is "Historical" registered and exempt...period and my '72 is exempt under the current law. I have driven without tags before and I would do it again. This state is so broke they are reaching deeper into everyone's pockets just to buy a cup of coffee. The sooner I leave the sooner I can start to live without worrying about this s**t! The ONLY appeal that California has is the weather..period. I was born here and have lived elsewhere in the country for brief periods. Believe me, Calif. is not what it is cracked up to be. Can you say, traffic? congestion? people? WWWAAAYYY over-inflated housing market? 30-40 cents-a-gallon higher than average gas prices? Fifty-bucks a pop just to walk through the gates of "The Happiest Place On Earth" ?[Disneyland you dolts not Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch!] Vehicle registration based on assessed value {up to seven years} of the vehicle..i.e. 2004 class "A" motorhome...$3200.00!!!, too many liberals!, and the list goes staggeringly on and on!
Soon they will require us to have our rectums visiting the "sniffer stations" bi-annually too....and our wallets going along for the ride!!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #16
CHEVYE
my gas saver

i`ve lived a few places too. it`s funny when i moved here from ny we had a 1050 sq/ft. appt and it was $1100 a month. i now own a home with 2 acres of beautiful land 1700 sq./ft. new heat/air and our house note is $430 for 15 years. i`ve never lived in california and don`t want to slam it whatsoever, but it sounds like some people there in charge should lighten up a bit.
ebay feedback
Old 09-01-2004, 06:24 PM   #17
68w/sbc406

it was a great place to visit. lots of cool stuff (and females) to see but i like living in oregon. i talk to people that travel or have lived in alot of different states and most of them say they like living in oregon the best.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:20 PM   #18
CHEVYE
my gas saver

i`ve been to oregon a few times. my ex has family there in ontario, a ways from boise idaho. i`ve rode around oregon and washington a bit and it is a beautiful place for sure. one thing i thought was weird was that everywhere we went they pumped our gas for us. is that some kind of law there or what?
ebay feedback
Old 09-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #19
nate68

this type of bill comes up all the time and never passes. dont' worry about it
Old 09-01-2004, 08:29 PM   #20
68w/sbc406

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYE
i`ve been to oregon a few times. my ex has family there in ontario, a ways from boise idaho. i`ve rode around oregon and washington a bit and it is a beautiful place for sure. one thing i thought was weird was that everywhere we went they pumped our gas for us. is that some kind of law there or what?
yeah its a law. whats weird is going to washinton and sitting there for a minute before realizing i got to do it myself happens everytime

Old 09-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #21
71 Blazer CST man
Account Suspended

The danks what makes it so attractive here in No Cal. Besides the grapes (Which i've ALSO been busting my ass doing - CRUSH - , last 2 weeks and another month or so) , it's the major cash crop keeping Sonoma/mendo/humbuldt/emerold triangle etc. together.

Not sure which order they will be in, so, the pic of "neat" grapes in nice rows, the pinot, i picked last Saturday...in around 100* heat. And when i say "I", i mean i drove the tractors, and the crew(mexicans) filled'r up. Funny thing 'bout those fellows is they stay covered head to toe, in sweats! In the blistering heat? MAn, i can barely do it in a T-shirt. The other pic of the free standing vines is some Zin(fandel) that's being picked tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71 Blazer CST man; 09-02-2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #22
70short/step

I Thought that there was "ANOTHER" CROP that kept HUMBOLT COUNTY in the Money!! "Inhale deep and hold it!!"
70short/step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:21 AM   #23
Gunny
runnin on empty

since the 70's the stuff that comes out of humbolt co. is not all that good - smells and looks great but can cause headaches, throwing up, etc. the DEA started "Crop dusting" the fields 30 years ago that makes the smoker ill when smoking it.

I remember when humbolt was the best you could get, 4 finger lid for $50 then the DEA had to ruin it.
United States Marine Corps
SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS
"Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:36 AM   #24
71 Blazer CST man
Account Suspended

A. More north then me, you're right gunny it's mostly commercial done by mexican "mafia"....guys out in the woods with semi autos..

B. Only thing we touch around here is homegrown, as seen in pic #1

C. The DEA only did that one year back before my days Down in Mexico, mexicans saw there stuff had been sprayed over night, and before it was dead, they cut it, dried it, and sold it un-mature, and tainted, to the point where some ppl up in the states on the recieving end were coughing blood etc, ugh f!ck that!

D. C.A.M.P (Campaign Against Marijuana Planting) are the only ones flying around these days, and they dont spray, the cut down, and burn Besides that some of the local Sheriff choppers keep an eye out and go out on hunting expeditions every now and then.

E. 14grams(half O) /$130 , and that's high priced since everyone's running low since last seasons supplys are near gone, and this seasons are almost read (WAHOOO)

F. Oh yea, then theres Indoor and that's a whole 'nother story, one i still have learning to do on yet.

Last edited by 71 Blazer CST man; 09-02-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 AM   #25
Blue Beard

Any time the government gets involved it means more money to them...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote