The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Fixed the Plastic Thing

Here are "before" and "after" shots of my repair to my heater/vent door control arm (or what ever you'ld call it). The broken plastic piece in the first picture was a discontinued part at the dealer, so I fashioned my own metal replacement. I guarentee you, that metal one will last a whole lot longer than the plastic one did.

Although the air movement through the defrost vents is now better, the door does not want to close as far as I think it should. The spring lever at the top of the box (circled in the second picture), appears to be vaccuum controlled. Is this adjustable? If not, it seems OK now - - I just thought I'd ask.

Attached Images

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverado
Here are "before" and "after" shots of my repair to my heater/vent door control arm (or what ever you'ld call it). The broken plastic piece in the first picture was a discontinued part at the dealer, so I fashioned my own metal replacement. I guarentee you, that metal one will last a whole lot longer than the plastic one did.

Although the air movement through the defrost vents is now better, the door does not want to close as far as I think it should. The spring lever at the top of the box (circled in the second picture), appears to be vaccuum controlled. Is this adjustable? If not, it seems OK now - - I just thought I'd ask.

I can't help ya on the adjustment problem but if you have an extra metal replacement I'd be glad to take it off our hands
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Silv4x4
I can't help ya on the adjustment problem but if you have an extra metal replacement I'd be glad to take it off our hands
Thanks for the props Buddy. Sorry I didn't make any extra brackets, but it's pretty easy to make. I just used a piece of galvanized strapping - the kind of stuff used as fence post hangers and joist hangers (at your local Home Depot) and cut, bent and drilled it to suit. You'll notice mine has an extra hole in the lower left corner. This is a premade hole in the strap that just happened to be in that location.

So, it's easy to make. Tools I used - - bolt cutters to cut the stuff (you could use a hack saw), bench vice to hold the piece, hammer to bend it, bench grinder (just to make it pretty), and a drill. Actually, I used my tap and die set to tap the hole for the vertical "pin" screw, but this could be done with a simple screw and nut. I was also hoping to use my welder, but there was no need.

Anyway, that's all there's to it.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
You'll notice mine has an extra hole in the lower left corner. This is a premade hole in the strap that just happened to be in that location.

I was also hoping to use my welder, but there was no need.

Anyway, that's all there's to it.

ha ha I was wondering what that hole was for. I think I need to make a new peice w/metal now too, instead of waiting for it to break in the middle of winter, AGAIN

Quote:
I was also hoping to use my welder, but there was no need.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 09-02-2004 at 11:15 PM.
cochino12 is online now   Reply With Quote