The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
bumpster

rough idle has me stumped

Aquired a 1970 GMC 350 auto,quad, automatic. Truck runs great as soon as it comes off idle, but at idle the whole truck just shudders. Thought it was a vacuum leak, but could not find one. replaced all hoses just for good measure. Then I found Champion plugs and off-brand points, so they went away. I then went into my fit to be tied mode and changed the entire ignition system over to HEI,(don't tell shuttermutt where I got the parts).With timing at 8 degrees and idle set at 950 (no load), it becomes almost bearable, but still not right. Exhaust sounds like a steady miss, but when I pull plug wires,none of them fail to drop rpm's about 75 to 100. Compression is a little low at 90, but no more than 5 to 7 lbs difference between cylinders and that was on opposite banks. Any ideas before the rest of my hair comes out?
99 H.D. Heritage[sanity check]
71 VW topless bug[summer fun]
"When I have the money, I don't have the time ; when I have the time, I don't have the money.
bumpster is offline   Reply With Quote