The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2004, 04:16 AM   #1
Iminocca

Hanger Question

I installed a set of 2" drop shackles in my truck today, and while I like the look better, it still needs to be lower. My truck is a '71 C20 and I havent found anyone that makes hangers for this truck. Is there any problem with simply relocating the stock hangers upwards? Doesn't look too hard (boy, has that kind of thinking gotten me in trouble!) to remove the rivets, weld up the old holes and drill new ones and bolt and/or weld hanger in new position.

Would I be better off with a flip kit? Anyone make one of those for my truck? The rear still sits about 2" higher than the front and I'd like it to sit level (or close to it). I'm also considering dropped spindles for the front, so maybe that's the way to go. Opinions?

TIA,
Patrick
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

You can move the hangers, just use a set of grade 8 bolts with pinchloc nuts. I moved my hangers down, after an axle flip left the rear too low in relation to the front. the front hangers werent moved far enough that they needed any add on stiffener, but the rears got a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 3/16 angle bolted to the bottom of the frame for the hangers to bolt to for extra support. Everything was bolted together with 7/16 x 1" NF grade 8 bolts & pinch lock luts. You also want to have a nice tight fit on the bolt holes. best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote