The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
oldcarbuff

will late model six lug rims fit on a 67?

I drool over the cheap prices charged for late model six lug rims/tires that are available as take-offs from conversion places. Specs for these looks like they would fit, but I haven't pulled a rim off my truck to see--I'm sure someone has tried these already--do they fit? Thanks!

OCB
oldcarbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
SCOTI

I got some late model 6 lug whels to put on a 67 rolling chassis & much to my suprise they didn't fit. The hub flange for the early 6 lug wouldn't let the late model wheel sit flush. These were aluminum so the steel could be different.

I do know that mid year model 15x8" 6-lug/4wd steel ralley wheels will fit w/o a problem.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

Yes and no. Right out of the box...NO. But, you can have a machine shop enlarge the center hole so they will fit over your flange that Scotti mentioned. I am not sure about the steel/chrome ones. Oh, backspacing will be close (what I have heard). Some user's have been forced to use spacers.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
gr8scott51

This subject needs to be put in the FAQ section, as it gets asked by everyone (including me when I first got my truck). The bolt circle is the same, the center hole is too small and the backspacing is wrong. Standard backspace is 4-1/2". Seems like someone mentioned that the steering arm rubs on the rim, too.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
curbyk
69 C-10 project

I asked the same question a few days ago...I called the Chevrolet dealer and asked them they told me if bolt pattern was the same they would work...NOT...different hole size, you can get spacer/adapters from several places including E-Bay, I just got mine and havent tried them yet. Will post results when I do. The back spacing may be an issue also.
curbyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:29 AM   #6
oldcarbuff

thanks curbyk. I was just thinking of the same thing--a small spacer or adaptor might be enough to get the backspacing problem taken care of and simultaneously might be thick enough to cure the flange problem too. When you find out your results, please share!

Joel (OCB)
oldcarbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:23 AM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

I will see what we can do about getting this question in the FAQ section.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
Inspector722
Fixing my 67, & loving it

The back spacing is off by 1.5". And they will rub depending on your set up in hard turns on the 16" rims. I am not sure on the 17" or larger. Wheel spacers work but not all wheel spacers have the center hole large enough for our trucks. You will have to ask before you buy. Most stuff is made for the new trucks now days.

Working on: 67, large back glass, 307 V8, 200 4R, 3.73 rearend, Short Stepside Bed
Inspector722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbyk
I asked the same question a few days ago...I called the Chevrolet dealer and asked them they told me if bolt pattern was the same they would work...NOT...different hole size, you can get spacer/adapters from several places including E-Bay, I just got mine and havent tried them yet. Will post results when I do. The back spacing may be an issue also.
Remember that these trucks that have original 6-lug hubs have very short 7/16" studs as well. I was going to use some washers for the alum wheels I had (disclaimer: these wheels were only for rolling the chassis around the driveway).

Once I stacked a couple of 1/16" thick washers to space the wheel out there wasn't enough stud left to thread the lugnuts. If you were to use spacers/adapters, you'll prob need to get longer studs. Do they even make longer 7/16" studs?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
hotrodtroy

Talking

Race studs can be pressed in and they are alot longer. my.02

"It's o.k. to dream about what you want to do, until you start doing what you are meant to do." Line from "The Rookie"
hotrodtroy is offline   Reply With Quote