The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Did I dun did fargged up?

Well got done with my wiring. Finished the lil details holding me up for the maiden start up of my Goodwrench 350. Fired right up with just a bump. First time one came to life for me with no leaks. It was a good omen. Made extra sure nothing was in immenant danger, ran her for 20 mins at 1900-1950 for cam break-in. Everything as advertised. Bled my brakes this morning, put in the seat. Went for my maiden voyage.....a 1/4 block. Very heavy vibration, slow to accelerate. Then, Oh My God! I realized I had'nt topped of my tranny fluid! It took 2 quarts. Vibration still present after fluid service. Idles fine, have not hooked up a tach to see the range. Suspect it is vibrating between 1100-1700 rpm.
So whatcha think. Did I blow up my tranny?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
cdowns

running 2quarts low for a short distance won't harm the tranny

i'd be lookin at motor mounts,torque converter bolts trannymount bolts driveshaft angles proper tv cable adjustment on overdrive trannies etc.
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

What about runnin the motor at 2 grand for 20 minutes 2 quarts low? Checked tv cable, it's correct. Waitin for it to cool off to check motor mounts and converter bolts. Drive shaft angles out of question since vibration occurs while parked.
All input appreciated.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
cableguy0

you didnt hurt the tranny 2 qts low for that short of a time. the vibration could either be something inside the tranny generally a bad torque converter can vibrate. the best thing to do to isolate the vibration is to unbolt the torque converter from the engine and then run it. if the vibration is caused by the tranny it wont be there with the tranny disconnected.give everything a good once over make sure all bolts are tight. another thing to try is to spin the converter and bolt in differently to the flexplate. in other words take out all 3 bolts then spin the converter around so that the next pad on the converter lines up with the hole in the flexplate and try that
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Unbolted torque converter and ran. Vibration still present. Disconnected serpentine, vibration still present. Suspect harmonic balancer. Bought a Performance Products balancer from the local speed shop. Asked for balancer for externally balanced 350. Kid gave me a balancer labled sbc 400. I questioned the kid repeatedly he finally showed me the catalog. There was no sbc 350 externally balance listed in 6". So I figured ok... Guess this famous Chevy interchange is at work. I haven't put on a new balancer yet, but will today to confirm. Will keep posted. Anyone know fer sure if sbc 400 externally balanced balancer will/will not fit 350?
Rich
Old 09-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
cableguy0

you cannot use a 400sbc balancer on a 350 you will blow the motor up from throwing it severely out of balance the 350 is internally balanced and the 400 externally do not run that balancer on that engine
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Cableguyo beat me to it. 400 and 350 don't mix.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Thanks. In process of replacing it now. I'm gonna lay into that "speed shop" guy!
Rich
Old 09-19-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Anyone got a trick for just one guy to break torque/torque down the balancer bolt? Don't have any help and the assembly is rotating. My cheap flex plate wrench isn't long enough to wedge it in place.
All input appreciated.
Rich
Old 09-19-2004, 03:19 PM   #10
cableguy0

normally need an impact gun to get the bolt out. and then a balancer puller to get the balancer off. i have never seen anyone get the bolt out without and impact gun
Old 09-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Was leary of using an impact on that bolt. Will fire up the compressor. What about torqing it down? Big fan of torque wrench.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
cableguy0

your going to need an impact gun to put the new balancer on as well. because its a press fit and the bolt is what pulls it back but you will never get it back as far as it needs to go by hand
Old 09-19-2004, 04:24 PM   #13
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0
normally need an impact gun to get the bolt out. and then a balancer puller to get the balancer off. i have never seen anyone get the bolt out without and impact gun
I've taken my 350 completely apart on my chevelle. And I don't have air tools. I used a 1/2inch drive ratchet with a 24inch handle. Came right off.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:38 PM   #14
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

True, you do not need air tools to remove the bolt. It's easy enough when the motor is on a stand. You can reach the flexplate and harmonic balancer at the same time. When the motor is installed, you can't and the impact becomes necessary without 2 people. Zipped right out. My non-mechanical neighbor is gonna come over and help me torque it down. Spec calls for 60 foot pounds, I wanna make sure I get it.
Will post how she runs when done. Hope I screwed nothing else up. Thanks for all input!
Rich
Old 09-19-2004, 04:51 PM   #15
cableguy0

good luck hopefully it didnt run long enough to do any major damage
Old 09-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #16
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Well, new balancer is on and no vibration!!!! Still gotta hook up torque converter, can't wait for a drive longer than a 1/4 block! Thanks again for all the help. This board is the ...greatest!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 05:46 PM   #17
cableguy0

good deal great to hear glad to be able to help ya out
Old 09-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #18
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

I just love a happy ending!
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:45 PM   #19
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

? Is the parts guy still alive ? LOL
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #20
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Glad you were able to get this handled. Sorry the (very small) window of opportunity passed to get out there and assist you. Looking forward to getting out there to see the progress.

Maybe another Sac area board member will want to join me? Keep up the great work!
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #21
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Let me know. I am 40 miles northeast of Sacramento in a little town called El Dorado.

I have a 70 Blazer 4x4, a 70 C30 and a 67 C10...
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #22
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Get er back together yet????? Or are you too busy doing burn out's!!!! hope all went well.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #23
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

FYI Moroso sells a VERY handy tool for installing balancers. it comes with adaptors to fit about anything out there. if I remember right they are about $40. that way you dont risk hurting the threads in crank or on the bolt. it uses a 1 1/4" wrench & one guy can do it alone.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:30 PM   #24
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

WE WANT PICS

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:44 PM   #25
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I happen to have that very tool! It gave me a reason to buy a big honkin crescent wrench to use it.
The parts guy is still walkin, I haven't got over to Tognotti's yet to give em the once for. I've been talkin to some folks that have done business with em that say they are real stingy on returns. I'm gearing up for a fight.
Truck is runnin like a raped ape.... Goes real good but has a few vibrations at speed. Need to adjust carb and tv cable. Tranny hunts 3-4 gear pretty bad.
Any good tuners out there? I suck at the "feel" stuff. Should be easy for whoever has the talent. Edelbrock 1406 carb & intake, stock HEI dizzy with accel supercoil, stock cam, does have headers though.
Hope to post some progress pics real soon. Truck currently in body/paint shop. Looks like they will have it 2 or 3 weeks. Panel wise she is in pretty bad shape. Tons of old mud. Not a propery lined up panel on it. Like I said before, I suck at the feel stuff. So, I gotta pay through the nose.
Grendal and SactoC10, I'm hopin to put together a wingding when I get my truck back. I know 3 other guys with 67-72 trucks. Maybe depot park in Rio Linda? Time line is kinda far out. Maybe 3-4 weeks.
Jeff, have fun on your LA parts run.
Thanks again all for the help.
Rich