The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2004, 01:05 AM   #1
Huskerboy2

Engine Stand Recommendations??

I'm thinking about buying an engine stand. When it comes time pull my 350, I thought that I would just rent an engine hoist and buy a stand. My engine runs perfect and it's my plan to just put a seal kit in it. Any recommendations on stands or where to buy them. The price range seems to be pretty wide. I'm leary of the really cheap priced ones. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, what does everybody do for a transmission stand. I've seen the adapters for floor jacks, transmission dollys, etc. Again, wide price range and the really cheap ones scare me.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:24 AM   #2
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I borrowed my buddies stand. I didn't like it at first, till I rolled it around. His has nice non-marring wheels. My stand has steel wheels and it digs the epoxy coating off my floor. Turns out he got it at a swap meet. So, no leads where to find similar.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:08 AM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

one with 4 wheels,the ones with the three wheels like to tip over.I still have a tripod I'll not buy another one though.

I also bought a transmission jack,worth every penny.I work on the farm trucks though,and I am always changing a clutch,ot transfer case,so that off set the expense.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Blue Beard

Mine is a three wheel heavy duty unit.

Bought the cherry picker and received it free, many a year ago.

Both unit come apart for storage. No longer made by the company.

Thought about drawing plans up for both units.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I got my lakewood engine (3 wheeled kind) from the local part's store and welded up my own tranny adapter so that I can have a tranny stand or a engine stand...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:11 AM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild
one with 4 wheels,the ones with the three wheels like to tip over.I still have a tripod I'll not buy another one though.

I also bought a transmission jack,worth every penny.I work on the farm trucks though,and I am always changing a clutch,ot transfer case,so that off set the expense.
I GOT MY 4 WHEELER FROM JEGS OR SUMMIT, CAN'T REMEMBER EXACTLY, IT
IS SO STURDY THAT I PUSHED IT ACROSS THE LAWN WITH A MOTOR ON IT.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Mike C

The Sam's near me has a nice 4 wheel stand branded Goodyear. They are folding and rated 1000#. $60. The only problem is the front 4 wheels are so wide, they won't go between my hoist legs far enough to be able to bolt the motor to it! I'm going to whack ~3" off either side. A design flaw, but I would buy another one still. Nice stand for the money for sure. If you are going to use a chain hoist, then it's a moot point, but definitely something to consider if you are using a cherry picker. My next stand will be the 2000# rated Harbor Freight folding stand, and I am going to modify the head with ball bearings to make it easier to spin the motor over, and possibly a geared crank.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Now for the review on the cheap stands...
I bought one back in 97 or so for something like 20 or 30 bucks at auto zone or some other crappy parts house. It is a 3 legged deal, pretty low to the ground, and have never had a single problem with it.
It is a bit of a pain to roll around loaded, and rotating the engine is a bit of a pain, however, if you are going to use it once and then store it for 10 years, or if it is just something to store a spare motor that won't be used for a while, then there is no reason to spend the extra cash IMO.
Mine sat with a 400 small block on it for at least 12 months, then a 350 small block for about the same, a caddy 425 for about a year...maybe a little less, and now it's had a turbocharged Pontiac 301 on it for the past couple months. Here soon, it'll have my 350 with the capachino looking oil in the pan, and it'll probably hold it for a year or so untill i sell it or scrap it.
It has well paid it's self off, and since I don't do a whole lot of work to the engines while they are on it, it serves fine.
Almost forgot, I had a 402 block, crank, and heads...with the pistons, rods, torque converter from a TH400 extra fly wheel and some other assorted crap stacked on top of it for about 4 or 5 months in the basement. I'll tell you what, if there is any way you can avoid taking a big block into the basement....do it. Even a bare block was a pain in the back to take out of there.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #9
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Heres the lowdown on my stand.It's a $25 junker from some carshow scam,but I needed one.It did pretty good till the 460 was dropped from the chainfalls,and the engine kept going and going and going,till the crank was touching the floor,and it was still boted to the stand,and the stand was standing upright The post in the back was @ 45 degrees,that motorscooter was heavy

So I slid the engine out of the stand,straightened the thing back out,and then welded a support bar out of a camaro (the ones in the front under the hood that cover the battery) form the post to the bottom leg.Rewelded all the joints,and it'll hold a elephant now,if you can get him bolted up.

It's still hard to roll around,and likes to tip when your spinning the engine around,but it is strong now
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website

Last edited by Brainchild; 09-19-2004 at 06:17 PM. Reason: cain't spull gud
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
71swb4x4

I would also recomend a 4 wheeler. I have a 3 wheeler and it tipped over once. Bent my alternator bracket but that's it. I was lucky, could have been a body part instead.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I got very lucky and got a Snap On engine stand. It was listed in a want ad in the paper for $60. I don't use it much but it sure is nice when I need it.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:52 AM   #12
724wdcopper
graphic designer

i've got a picture somewhere of an old 250 6 cyl lying on the ground still bolted to the cheap harbor freight 3 wheeled stand. not cool. i will see if i can round it up and scan it to share. it was pretty funny, until my dad saw the chip out of the concrete floor in his shop from the crank pulley. also, when i first bolted the engine up, it tilted up just a little bit, but slowly and surely, the front of the engine was soon looking slightly at the ground. maybe it was anticipating the fall and trying to find a soft spot!

if you only need to use it once, get a cheapie. if you plan to do more than one, spend more than $39.95!
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 AM   #13
Joe67
67 is sold

I agree - a $30 engine stand works perfect

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72
I got my lakewood engine (3 wheeled kind) from the local part's store and welded up my own tranny adapter so that I can have a tranny stand or a engine stand...
Why would you need an adapter for a tranny on an engine stand?

I use longer bolts and nuts and bolt the trans straight to my engine stand just like an engine.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:46 PM   #15
junkyardjohn

I'VE GOT ONE OF THE #2000 STANDS FROM HARBOUR FREIGHT. IT'S WITHOUT A DOUBT THE STRONGEST ENGINE STAND I'VE EVER SEEN. THEY ARE AROUND $100. I'VE HAD SEVERAL FULLY DRESSED BIG BLOCKS ON IT,(ONE AT A TIME THOUGH ) & FELT SAFE ROLLING IT OR TURNING THE ENGINE OVER. I THINK YOU'RE BETTER OFF BUYING A GOOD STURDY STAND & IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO USE IT AGAIN........ SELL IT WHEN YOU'RE DONE. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote