The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
BigBlockBurris

Wrecker question!!! Please look!

I am fixing to purchase a 1970 model wrecker with a Holmes 440 bed on it. Pretty nice truck but still needs a little TLC (I will post pics when I get it!). Anyway, my question is for you guys with wreckers. How do you have them insured. I have Nationwide Ins. now for my cars and home. They won't even touch a wrecker!! I can do a special policy ( read big $$$) but I can only haul cars I own! I want to be able to help my buds when they need me! I know this will probally vary state to state but how do you guys with wreckers have them insuered? I want to be covered if I have a accident but if I can't afford insurance I may not buy the wrecker. Thanks for your help.

BBB
BigBlockBurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
71swb4x4

You may have to "own" your buddies' trucks for the trip
Old 09-28-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Chevyguy111786

yeah, you just bought the car/truck, the previous owner is riding back the the house with you to ensure a safe delivery and finish the transaction. that's my story and i'm stickin to it!
Chevyguy111786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
BigBlockBurris

Ttt

Ttt
BigBlockBurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
86SILVERADO

Couldn't really tell you but I do have commercial insurance on my dump and the insurance company is fully aware that I tow an 18' trailer with tractor around on it reguarly. In hunting around for Ins. a while back I did find that many of the larger carriers Just don't do commercial Ins. My guess is you just need to go with one of the smaller or more local carriers who will you insure you for commercial purposes. I think most of the big wigs found out long ago that it just isn't worth thier while to insure commercial vehicles unless you are willing to PAY for one of those "special" policies.

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
kwmech

I am insured thru Met Life about 800. a year for 1 wrecker and 2 personal vehicles. Wrecker is for 'personal use only'
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It's as bad or worse than a limo.
Probably the only way you will be able to get it insured for anything other than personal use is to actually start a company that would have a legit reason the have one.
Depending upon your state's laws that may require quite a bit more than just the truck. You may need a lot (with a certain % of it paved) a sign and of course a vendor's license.......and maybe even a few more hoops
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #8
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Personal use only for me too.But I have owned a lot of cars bought from buddies.It is included in the farm insurance package somehow.along with the dumptruck,1 tons,and personal....I mean companmy cars

I have never been stopped yet.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:21 AM   #9
curbyk
69 C-10 project

You may want to check into a general liability or blanket policy, it could cover many things, don't know if it would work, but...?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
ecdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockBurris
I am fixing to purchase a 1970 model wrecker with a Holmes 440 bed on it. Pretty nice truck but still needs a little TLC (I will post pics when I get it!). Anyway, my question is for you guys with wreckers. How do you have them insured. I have Nationwide Ins. now for my cars and home. They won't even touch a wrecker!! I can do a special policy ( read big $$$) but I can only haul cars I own! I want to be able to help my buds when they need me! I know this will probally vary state to state but how do you guys with wreckers have them insuered? I want to be covered if I have a accident but if I can't afford insurance I may not buy the wrecker. Thanks for your help.

BBB
Interesting, we just bought a 70 wrecker, and needed to register it commercially (read commercial (expensive)) insurance) We wound up with ACCORD insurance - a little under $1000 per year. The price is dependent on your driving record, place you house the truck etc. Hope this helps. Actually we were as interested in the winch as the truck.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote