The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 AM   #1
ghettocruiser

Idea?

I've got an idea for a new project. I've got an 82 cab and shortbed that came off of my first ever vehicle, that I of course wreaked. The frame is seriously tweaked as well as the entire front clip, but the cab and bed are almost perfect. There is also an old longbed farm truck that belongs to a friends of mines dad that I think I get for real cheap, if not free.
What I've got in mind is to shorten the longbed frame and use the front clip off the farm truck. I want to restore it with all new electronics, weatherstripping, and other wearable pieces to make it pretty much a new truck. With the interior and exterior completely stock with exception of wheels(20s?) and maybe bags or just a static drop. And powered by a new series motor(4.8, 5.3, or 6.0).
Does this sound like a good and reasonable plan? I want to do it as cheap as possible but not just hack it together. Also, has anyone used the vintage air system for these trucks or would it be cheaper(easier) to go back with a stock system?
1975 Blazer--thats what I'm here for
1978/84 C30 Crew Cab--Going to try for a spare parts build using mostly Suburban parts...
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It's not a bad idea if you can do all the work yourself. If you are capable of welding the frame, swapping the motor, and wiring the computer it it could be done. The late model swap will drive the price up quit a bit though....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. There is a fella here (can't remember his name off hand) that made a lwb into a swb...from how he described it...it didn't sound too hard. What year is the farm truck you are talking about?

As far as Vintage air, I know of nobody on the 73-87 side of the board that has one, but I believe there are a couple 67-72 guys who have one in their truck. Vintage Air is a reputable company with an excellent kit...I wouldn't see any problems putting one in our trucks.

Welcome to the board!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

As I have said in other posts, Vintage air is only a few minutes away from me. A friend used to work there designing their systems. He said that the kit for our trucks worked very well, and that it moves the evaporator under the dash, cleaning up the engine compartment. It was designed for R134, so it works well with it. The downside is the price, and the fact that if the case ever leaks, the water from the evaporator core leaks into the cab.

I have no personal experience with the Vintage Air sytems, but I have always heard that they make a quality product.

Slonaker
Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 AM   #5
ghettocruiser

The reason that I want to use a late model motor is for driveablity's sake, I suppose I could try to find like a vortec 350 or even a very streetable small block.
The farm truck is an 82 as wel so everything should be the same with the exception of all the silverado trim pieces and options, its a custom deluxe I think.
Is the price of the vintage air worth not having to try and track down all of necessary parts for the factory system, because I don't have any of them.
Thanks
1975 Blazer--thats what I'm here for
1978/84 C30 Crew Cab--Going to try for a spare parts build using mostly Suburban parts...
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
AirMale

I think BlueX did the LWB/SWB conversion....check his posts.
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote