The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
twxsby

84 K-20 Keeper??

I want your opinion. I love my truck, and I really want to keep it. I want to invest about $15,000 into it (new motor, paint etc...) BUTT, my insurance will only give me blubook in the event something bad happens to it.
I also want to know what to do with the motor. Rebuild or Crate engine? I think I want extra low end torque for towing (8000lbs) and keeping it going up the grade. Dealer is out of the question. $5000 rebuild, discontinued crate engine. What to do??
Old 09-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #2
KShortell

Well, there's always "agreed value" insurance from folks like Grundy Worldwide, Hagerty, Condon & Skelly, etc. There are several companies out there offering that type of policy. The downside is that most companies place restrictions on the use of the vehicle (no commuting to work, mileage limitations, etc.). If memory serves correctly, though, there's one or two companies out there that offer policies without the severe restrictions on use. I couldn't tell you what the cost of such a policy is, though.

I looked through the valuation books last year. My truck comes in at around $3,500 (tops). But, the real value to me is what it would cost to replace it. I'd just better remain a good driver, yeah a very good driver, definitely a good driver, yeah... (apologies to Rain Man)...

Last edited by KShortell; 09-30-2004 at 03:57 PM.
KShortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

Well speaking from experience, my sons 82 was stolen and it was worth more than the $2000 that they were going to give him but we were abe to settle for much more because we did the following:
Appraisle (sp?)
Reciepts, for any and everything that was added, battery, wiper blades etc. excluded. Custom seat, steering wheel, stereo, wheels, tires, engine dress up parts and so forth.

Also lots and lots of pictures that follow your buildup and completion of your project. And always get peple who will vouch for you about what you have done.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
twxsby

Thanks guys
I have decided to keep her, and am going to rebuild the 350 (220K miles, very tired!) and add Edelbrock 600cfm carb with matching cam (performer pkg). I am looking at $2000 for the parts and labor. The thing that worrys me is the paint job. I might as well put it in dry dock. It's going to cost me $5000 give or take. I am considering going to Mexico for the paint job. I really want to have this truck look like it came off the showroom floor. I love seeing old cars and trucks that look good.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
somery

can i have your old carb? maybe you want to donate it to the poor? i 'll send shipping
somery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
twxsby

I'm going to give the old carb an manifold to my grandpa.