The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
ChrisK10
1971 C20 Custom Camper

Soon2Be Proud Owner of 1 Fine 69!

Yay! I saw an ad in a local for-sale forum about a 69 4x4 for sale for a pretty good price, and it looked pretty good in the picture. I went down with my dad last night to check it out, and I wasn't disappointed with what I saw! By no means is it perfect, but it's going to be a very good start. Better than my 65 4x4 project anyways, which sadly to say, I will probably be selling in the near future. It's just too much of a project for me. I'm going to give the previous owner of the 65 the chance to buy it back, if he doesnt want it, I will list it here on the board and locally. When/if I do, I would like to sell it mostly together if possible... Anyways back to the good news!

It is a 1969 4x4 body on an 85 frame and running gears. It has lock-out hubs and 3.73 gears. It has power steering, but manual brakes. It's on 35" tires with a rednecked body lift. And I mean rednecked... 2x2" square tubing was used to life the body off of the frame about 6". The 350 engine is from a 79 truck, which had about 79,000 miles on it when it was put in this truck about 5 years ago. He said it was overheated once a few years ago and may have a bent rod, but it didn't sound that bad when I test drove it last night. The body is pretty much dent free , but has some rust, but mostly only in the rockers, some of the supports under the cab, the cab corners, the metal bed floor, and a couple of the crossmembers under the bed. There is hardly any rust elsewhere. The grille is in decent shape, with only one major ding, and with some TLC, it will look pretty nice. There is no tailgate , but I may know someone that might sell one to me. The interior was pretty messy, but I think once it gets cleaned up it will look pretty decent. A few small things were missing, like armrests, and the rearview mirror wasn't mounted. The toolbox in the bed comes with it and doesn't look that bad, but it's not very heavy-duty. The exhaust is pretty much gone.

After I bring it home, I will need to do a few things to it. The major thing that needs to be done soon will be to put new exhaust on it. Other than that I will just clean it up, and fix/buy things that are missing. Small things like that. I probably won't remove the redneck lift until spring, but if I get sick enough of it, it may be done over the winter, we'll see. Once that is gone, I will put a 4" suspension lift underneath. It will look much better once that is done. Rust repair will be needed, but I'm not sure when that will get done. Maybe this winter, but probably next spring. I can't wait!

I have a football game this afternoon at 2 pm, and I'm going to call the owner this evening to make final plans. I hope to be able to drive it home tommorow afternoon!
Attached Images

'97 GMC K1500 5.7L
ChrisK10 is offline   Reply With Quote