The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1988-1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
Boriqua

Question 1998,Neeed to replace wiper motor

First of all, it is 1998,Chevy,1500,Ext Cab,Short Bed,5.7l,V8,350, I am having problems with the wiper motor on the 98. It has its own mind. The motor will work when it is not raining and when it rains. It will work when it wants to work. If I tap it a few times. It will start working again. How do I replace the wiper motor? Thank You For Your Input.
Boriqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
97silv5.7
MooMoo

Your motor is probly fine these models have problems with the delay module, the thing you tapped on, check with the dealership you might be covered under a recall if not its like 30-40 bucks I think,
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
Boriqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97silv5.7
Your motor is probly fine these models have problems with the delay module, the thing you tapped on, check with the dealership you might be covered under a recall if not its like 30-40 bucks I think,
I called the dealership and the service dept. person told me that it was not under a recall listing. I have never done this sort of venture. Where is the delay module located at?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
chevman-67

check your ground and make sure it is good try putting a jumper wire from case to firewall it was my proble my ground was not making a good connection.
gm's are #1

1967 chevrolet short step
1988 chev 4x4 1/2 ton
1989 gmc 1/2 ton
1991 chev 1/2 ton 4x4
1993 Jeep grand cherokee 4x4
And yes a 94 Ford Mustang.
chevman-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I replaced my motor on my 96 for same reason, before they had the recalls expanded. To replace the bad circuit board is around $50 for the parts here. I bought a new wipe motor from Auto zone (or Advanced Auto...forgot which one) for $50.

Open hood
Disconnect battery
Wiper motor is on firewall almost in front of driver
Unplug the wiring from motor (2 connections if I rememebr right)
Remove the 3 bolts that hold it to firewall (metric I think)
Carefull start pulling motor out of the mounting hol until you see the arm little z-looking arm thingie that connect the motor to the wiper control arms.
Unbolt the z-arm from motor.
Pull motor
Move any rubber bushing and stuff to new motor
maneuver motor into place, hook up z-bar thingine and reverse all the rest of the steps.

These are not scientific terms, some probably are the wrong terms (z-bar thingie), but what I can remember. 20 mins of work for the old back-backyard mechanic compared to what they told me on how to repair of replace that circuit boiard and for the same price. 2 years and not a lick of problems so I'm happy.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
Boriqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevman-67
check your ground and make sure it is good try putting a jumper wire from case to firewall it was my proble my ground was not making a good connection.
Thank You!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
Boriqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step
I replaced my motor on my 96 for same reason, before they had the recalls expanded. To replace the bad circuit board is around $50 for the parts here. I bought a new wipe motor from Auto zone (or Advanced Auto...forgot which one) for $50.

Open hood
Disconnect battery
Wiper motor is on firewall almost in front of driver
Unplug the wiring from motor (2 connections if I rememebr right)
Remove the 3 bolts that hold it to firewall (metric I think)
Carefull start pulling motor out of the mounting hol until you see the arm little z-looking arm thingie that connect the motor to the wiper control arms.
Unbolt the z-arm from motor.
Pull motor
Move any rubber bushing and stuff to new motor
maneuver motor into place, hook up z-bar thingine and reverse all the rest of the steps.

These are not scientific terms, some probably are the wrong terms (z-bar thingie), but what I can remember. 20 mins of work for the old back-backyard mechanic compared to what they told me on how to repair of replace that circuit boiard and for the same price. 2 years and not a lick of problems so I'm happy.
Bill,

I think it should go well for me replacing with your input but, I started to pull the handel for the hood and it would not open. It seens that it is not hooking inside the hood and not able to open the hood. Need help there too!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:30 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Mine was sticky when I first got it. You can try this, Take some WD40 and squirt it between the grill and hood around center line . This may loosen/lube the latch enough to allow it to spring up.

After that, I had to have my daughter pull the inside hood release, and I had to hit it with my hand to get it to pop the firt time. Lubed the latch and fittings up after that and no trub.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
Boriqua

Bill,
Going to do it today.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #10
Boriqua

Bill,

Just came from outside from trying to open the hood. I put W40 per your suggestion but, it looks like the cabel is not catching to the hood. It still will not open.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:24 PM   #11
Boriqua

I finally open the hood and had to move the hook which catches to the hood to the right and now it is closing and opening correctly. I will check all wiring and if it does not work. Then the wiper motor will be replace.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Let me say this first...

I mechaniced full time for 12 years, a lot of that as a line mechanic at a Chevy dealer.

I speak fluent Chevy truck.

Replace the pulse module on the wiper motor. 97silv5.7 is on the right track.

Should cost between 25 and 35 dollars. It screws onto the wiper motor. Buy the new one, and replacement will be self expalanatory.

A lot of wiper motors have been changed because of the pulse module. It's a shame to replace the whole motor when the module is all that's wrong with it.

I've probably replaced several hundred of them in my time.