The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
rockman20
"The dude abides"

2 Questions in one post

First off, how can I tell what kind of sending unit I have in my fuel tanks? I want to replace the HUGE fuel gauge in my dash with a small Autometer gauge and then put a tach where the fuel was. Can I just put a digital multimeter on the gauge and have one tank empty and one tank full and test the ohms on the empty tank and then flip to the full tank and test the ohms there? Then I should be able to get a gauge to match those ohms right?

Second question deals with gearing. I want to put 3.73 in my pickup to get rid of the 3.40's that are in there right now. It should help my towing power. Now, I have never touched a rear before so bear with me. How hard is this to do? I have pulled axles and the carrier assembly out of a S10, but never replaced the ring gear or anything like that. I just worry about the backlash and such. How hard is that to get right? What all do I need to know about the rear? Right now I know that it is a 10 bolt. I have pulled the cover and checked. Am I safe to assume that the front is a 10 bolt then as well? (I know that if I replace the back, I need to replace the front) I have been toying with the idea of posi to help with the off road use this pickup sees as well. Would you use posi on a vehicle that is mainly a tow vehicle but does see off road use primarily in the winter months. Can I put posi in the rear and not in the front? Or should I put posi in the front and leave the rear? Or would you do both?

Okay so the second question is actually a bunch of questions!

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
1987SierraClassic

First question - Yes, you should be able to do that. The range should be close to zero for one measurement, either full or empty, I can't tell for sure because I've never measured mine.

Second - I wouldn't put a posi in the front. I have a posi in the rear of my Suburban and it's great in the snow, even in 2-wheel mode. As far as setting up the rear end, it takes a fair amount of talent to do it right. I thought about doing mine, but after talking to a few people, I've decided to let a pro do it since it's my daily driver and I can't afford any mistakes! You need to set the pinon depth first and, according to folks I've talked to, you need some pricey tools to do it right, but I'm just telling you what I've learned. I'd put a master bearing kit in it too.
1987SierraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

1) you need a 0-90Ohm gauge. Everyone typically lists them as a GM gauge for the fuel.

2) It isn't that hard if you have the tools and knowledge to do it, but if you are unsure, I would leave the setup to a professional.

3)are you going to be wheeling alot and need a Limited slip/Posi in the front. If not, I would skip it. They are going to cost you a bundle. In the end though it is your choice.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
SanitysBane

i regeared a ford 9, not hard to do at all, just followed along with the manufactorors instructions, and yes a posi on the front is almost manditory, think about it, a posi would make both wheels spin, and if you are steering with the front, you need both of them to spin, not just 1, the rear, you could add a posi to the rear as well if you wanted, not any real point to it i know of
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote