The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Devil'S Ride

62 panel truck

Hey guys....I have not spent much time in here, but I recently was offered a job of restoring a 1962 Chevy Panel Truck. Paint and body is done, but the truck needs new motor, trans, driveline, front disc brake conversion?. Th current set up is a 258 6 cyl, with a three on the tree. the owner wants a 350 with an auto. I have a good idea of what I want to do with the engine, as he is looking for mild performance, but I was loking for advice as far as the ease of swapping motors and trannies.... Also if any one has done something like this toa particular truck I would be interested in pics and descriptions. Thanks a lot guys
-Devil

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
rodnok1

Not that hard, you should get v8 engine stands, although you can use the 6 stands, it will be back a couple of inches and if you use tall valve covers they can hit big time. The auto will require crossmember moving at a minimum and new driveshaft. Also I upgraded the radiator to a crossflow 4 core, it required new mounts and shroud (didn't have one to begin with). For the exhaust it should be easy with either headers or manifolds since it will be a auto, Ram horn manifolds work great on these trucks. I would try and get a complete engine to either rebuild or get parts from, like HEI, water pump, alternator, brakets and the like. Get new motor mounts and or run a chain to keep the left side of the engine from moving and jamming the trottle wide open(gotta love throttle rods!)

64 Panel 1/2 Ton
350cubes/400hp
BorgWarner t-10
3:73 Auburn Posi
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Devil'S Ride

Do you have to weld in the V8 engine mounts? movin the xmember is easy enough i just gotta drill new holes right? As far as radiator goes.....is there any particular size that I should use? Would just a good 4 core froma chev diesel work? Ram horns I can prolly find offa here....I might have a line on an engine.....

Thanks fer the input and more would be welcome.

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
rodnok1

Mounts are bolt in. Hard part of crossmember is getting it out...lots of rivets. I used a Modine 1R347 radiator, it fits late 60's GM product...can't remember what right now what car. Problem was the width of the rad support is so narrow it was the only one I found. I have the Modine catalog zipped, it's almost 4megs if you want it send me a PM with an email address. It has all the specs in it.

64 Panel 1/2 Ton
350cubes/400hp
BorgWarner t-10
3:73 Auburn Posi
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote