The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
Trifelynn

October 7th is the official start day... :)

....Of my first full restoration project. Not much done, and I won't be bothersome and post everyday what I got done...but just thought I would say that it is started...I didn't get too much done, as I ran out of light, but I did get the hood off, the cowl off, and the egg crate grille.

I also had my first "Oh Shooot"(edited of course)

So, the egg crate was stuck, I couldn't get it off. It was cracked, old, and I wasn't going to use it anyways, so I used a little help from my foot to kick it loose. It broke, which wasn't my concern...but when I kicked with my foot, a piece punctered the radiator ...radiator fluid started spurting out...."D'OH!" Not too big of a deal though, because I need a different radiator anyways, as this one is a manual, and I am going automatic...but it was still a spill that didn't need to happen...hope the landlord doesnt notice the green slime on the grass...hehe

Tomorrow I should be hauling it to base, where the complete disassembly will take place. Everything but the tub, and chassis will remain. Then I will haul it back, and by then, hopefully I will have my new toy (welder) and I can learn how to weld Should be a fun adventure, as I have never welded in my life. I will take pics of my progress and hopefully post once a week. I am going to try and do everything but paint myself...so, wish me luck, as there are plenty of things I am going to tackle that I have never tried before. This board is great, especially the 69-72 blazers board, and I hope that you guys can continue with the GREAT advice, as I will need it...

One quick question...I mentioned it in another thread...but what is the best way to cut sheetmetal without spending a grand on a plasma cutter? I am looking at 500 bucks to get me a small lincoln gas shielded(new words I learned today ) welder and everything I need for that...but what about cutting...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You need an air compressor and some air tools. Angle grinder with cut-off wheels work great for cutting metal. Also air sanders and grinders are needed. What about paint sprayers? Do you have a way to keep it out of the weather? Also,... if the body is that bad,... could you buy an old 4x4,... maybe without an engine and tranny,... and swap bodies? Use the best of both bodies!?! Just wondering if it would be cheaper in the long run. There are alot of 4x4's out there. Keep us posted. Lolife99.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
Trifelynn

Well, on base is a full mechanics shop. Everything from tools to completely rebuild a motor, to blanacing tires...

only thing you can't do there is bodywork. I am going to purchase a portable garage. The only bad parts are the driver rocker(in, out, and box). there is a small hole in the driver side floor pan...the passenger inner fender is bad, the back piece of the bed...the part that the tailgate closes on...and then
the piece right in front of the back wheel on the bed on the driver side...the passenger side needs a new door, and some body work to the bed, and that is it. I know it seems like I typed a lot, but I think in retrospect...it isn't too bad at all...I don't think it is bad enough to swap an entire bod with...I was thinking of just buying some repair panels. I would like to go with a '67 front end...so the fenders and grille on this one mean nothing to me, other than maybe making a little money towards my new clip.