The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
oldraven

Updates on the Supertruck

It's time for a new update, now that something's getting done.

I took the day off work yesterday to get something done on the truck. Working two hours a night doesn't get you anywhere. Though I'm stuck at work writing this on a saturday now.

Anyway, I got the frame cleaned up and undercoated,

& the cloth seat in for the old vinyl.

The bumper and lower splash apron have been removed from the parts truck, and the apron is painted in the right colour with chrome re-attached. Both are ready to go on, as soon as I line up the front fender mounting holes to stock location. The p.o. rear-ended someone plenty hard, and this stuff is all messed up, but nothing I can't straighten up enough for winter.

The 383 is painted and in, though the propane hasn't been installed yet, so I haven't fired it up.

The cab corners are bought and ready to be welded in, as soon as the inners are patched up. The steel is cut for the patch as well. Should be done soon.

And finally, I painted the front of the box, so when it goes together and gets painted, you won't be able to tell it's not original.

It was nice to have a day where you can see productivity. It's getting really close now. Starting to look like something.

'87 TurboCoupe 2.3Turbo intercooled 5-spd
www.cardomain.com/id/oldraven

'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L
oldraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
1972C10
Account Suspended

An engine that has been run on propane sure does last forever. I used to work out on a farm we had a 16' flatbed dumptruck had a 350 that had been run on propane Clean engine and it had some miles on it too.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
oldraven

Yeah, I know. No carbon buildup. And this one was rebuilt at the time of the conversion, and has hardly any miles on it since rebuild. I'm pretty happy with the way everything worked out. I'm just not expecting that old timex rear to last very long. :P

Old 10-09-2004, 05:42 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Adam -- Thats some sweet progess!! What did you use to do the frame up with? I saw you had most of the surface rust taken off, so can I assume that you used POR15?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
oldraven

Just asphault undercoating, in a spray can. I got it at Canadian Tire, along with the paint for the body. Three cans to do everything, from two feet under the cab and back. (I'll do front end when I don't have to do it on my back out side, like with the rest of it) It's a ***** of a job, I was scrubbing soap into my mouth to get the paint out. Couldn't use varsol there.

Old 10-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
oldraven

Like I said in my last post, I got the front of the box painted.

Klause finished the cab corners.

And I got most of the front end back together. I know the grille is crooked, I need to get some proper nuts and bolts to mount it. But you get the idea. I'm not really bringing anything new to the table, just cleaning the thing up. If I find I don't like the blue grille, when I redo everything in the spring I'll go chrome again.

Old 10-17-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Hey tell me about upholdstering that seat. You just hook the velour upholdstry with the hooks or did you have to stick it to the seat? I'm looking at going from vinyl (currently hiding under a nice seat cover) to velour.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:41 PM   #8
oldraven

Smile

No, sorry. I got the whole cloth seat out of the parts truck. It was hidden under a failing seat cover. So it's still factory original.

Oh, I got my Chevy-Duty catalogue in the mail a few days ago. I see a lot is going to be getting done in the spring. A guy could live off this catalogue, esspecially in places where rust runs rampant, which is where this truck is headed.