The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2004, 11:30 PM   #1
corn

What is the going rate for used 396 heads?

I talked to the guy today that built the 396 (6 years ago) thats in the 69 I just bought & he was telling me how screwed up the top end is. He said the owner spent a ton of money to have the heads ported & planed. He then went on to tell me the two heads didnt match & they were planed at different heights?@#$$#*^%$

I just bought a new intake for it & dont really want to have it planed down at all, let alone on two different dimensions. Now Im trying to decide if I want to...
A: leave it the way it is with the aluminum intake it has...
B: have the new intake milled to match the heads...
or
C: find a different set of heads & do it the right way...

Oh ya, there was some good news too. He told me the machinist that did the work stamped how much he took off of the intake on the intake. Also he was telling me that the owner brought over a set of 4:11 gears to install in it but never did. He sent them home with me for free!!!...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:54 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Any chance that you could talk to the machinest that did the heads?

There is a possibility that he knew what he was doing and he milled the heads based on cc'ing the chambers. The fact that the heads "don't match"
may not be a problem. If the machinest took the time to mark the amounts machined off of the components, it makes me believe that he knew what he was doing.

Did you look the head numbers up to see if they both had the same chamber volume?

If one head is a closed chamber and the other is an open chamber head then definately, the heads have a serious difference. But if it is a date difference only then you might be ok. I would suggest a little more research
before deciding what to do.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote