The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
bigbluthng

egr system

not a truck but close, an 87 el camino. my buddy purchased a polished intake manifold similar to the performer from edelbrock. he got the intake not knowing it wasn't set up for the egr valve but now it's istalled and he doesn't want to remove it. will the car run well without the egr valve? we thought maybe we can get away with it for now with the vacumn lines capped off leading to the valve, since the valve was logged up anyway.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
1986Silverado
What I drive

There will be no noticeable difference how the vehicle runs, but I doubt it will pass emissions. I had an 86 Buick T-type and removed my egr system and did not notice any difference in how it ran. I had someone make me a aluminum plate and used a stock gasket and bolted it in place of the egr valve. Some say without the egr valve you will have low end knock, pinging actually, not a engine knock as in bad bearings and such.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
Grim Reaper

87 should have been FI. If it is FI it will trip a light with no EGR and IT WILL FAIL CALI emissions.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
bigbluthng

it's not fuel injected but carburted. i know it will fail emissions but he doesn't have to worry for two years.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what happens if you don't have everything you need to get the EGR working right away (missing a solenoid) can a guy just leave the EGR valve in there without it affecting performance at all? I plan to hook it up after I get my solenoid as the ECM will constantly be giving me an error code with the EGR stuff...
Old 10-10-2004, 11:59 PM   #6
1986Silverado
What I drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what happens if you don't have everything you need to get the EGR working right away (missing a solenoid) can a guy just leave the EGR valve in there without it affecting performance at all? I plan to hook it up after I get my solenoid as the ECM will constantly be giving me an error code with the EGR stuff...
yes but as you said the light will come on.the chip can be programmed to get rid of that to
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 AM   #7
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluthng
it's not fuel injected but carburted. i know it will fail emissions but he doesn't have to worry for two years.

Does it have ESC? No EGR may trip the Knock Sensor on the ESC and make it loose power. EGR does NOT rob power on a motor designed for it. At Full throttle it's off. At idle it is off. The only time it is on is steady cruise and on slight hills it may actually start to ping with it missing.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote