The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
skokie

Tranny Shift kit.

What is a tranny shift kit and what does it do?

Thanks

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Not A Expert, But I Think It Consists Of Hardened Springs And Other
Stuff I'm Sure, I Think It Helps Narrow The Shift Patterns And Helps
The Gear Exchange Happen Faster, Reason Why My Tires Now Bark.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
cableguy0

a shift kit is a modification done to the valve body which normally includes new springs and fluid plates which direct the fluid inside the transmission. the shift kit springs are much tighter and stronger so they open and close the valves a lot faster causing the harder shift and eliminating slippage when the transmission shifts. and believe it or not a shift kit extends the life of the transmission even though its applying harder and faster the slippage is what kills the transmission over time and that is eliminated
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
skokie

Thanks guys. I was talking to a tranny guy today and he offered to put one in for no charge but wasnt sure what it did.

68 build thread
Old 10-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
1972C10
Account Suspended

I bet his no charge shift kit included removing the Cervo Spring, Taking out the accumlator Spring Drilling a hole and removing two balls.

An Acutal shift kit can do the following depending on what kind

Cheap 20 dollar plate set can .. Drill the hole and remove some balls. For Street Strip They Suggest Removing The Cervo Spring.

A Good Shift Kit Comes With Alot of springs some of wich go into the valve body as well as a new accumlator spring.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
skokie

Thanks 1972C10. Im not sure I want him to do this since I am trying to build a stock truck even down to the tranny.

68 build thread
Old 10-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

Yeah Shift Kits are good if its a mild one .. Most trrans guys feel they need to make them chirp the tires wich causes premature wear on parts.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #8
robertwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0
eliminating slippage when the transmission shifts
many of you probably already know this -but the slippage between gears isn't because the trans is "between" gears-it's because it's in BOTH gears-at the same time- so you can see why it would make parts last longer once you understand that
1972 datsun PL-521/nissan
robertwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:25 AM   #9
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwb
many of you probably already know this -but the slippage between gears isn't because the trans is "between" gears-it's because it's in BOTH gears-at the same time- so you can see why it would make parts last longer once you understand that

You're absolutely right.. The slow shifting is called Overlap, ( robert's explanation) The general public doesn't want their head set back into the seat, They want a comfortable smooth shift. Because of the slow shift or "Overlapping" It's taking the tranny longer to release and shift from one gear to another. I have a street/strip kit in mine, Yes it does "Chirp" the tires from one gear to another if you are on the gas.. But if you're just driving with a soft Gas pedal it's a good bump.
With most shift Kits, They have in the instructions ( Or at least used to) explaining this, Plus they will also tell you to go to "FORD" Type "F" Tranny fluid. It has better grabbing abilities then the Mercron, or Dextron. I have used Everything from the gentle shift kit to the Reverse Pattern, Full Manual... They are easy to install, having full directions.. Just be sure you keep the parts and inside the tranny Clean.. And they will make your Transmiision live longer as long as it's not old and worn out already.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote