The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Woody1

3/4 ton driveshaft

All,
I was heading home today from the Pumpkin Patch tonight and my drive shaft broke in two right at the carrier bearing. the splines broke off the front shaft, so the back 1/2 is still good (if I can get teh splines out) but I need a front shaft.

Well here's the deal. My truck: 68 C20 (trailing arm rearend with carrier bearing that looks like a teardrop...you know what I mean...2 bolts on top).

Now I have a drive shaft (both pieces) from a leaf Spring 3/4 ton, but it has the other type of carrier bearing (you know the one that is more triangled shaped and has 4 bolts that mount it to the frame and 3 bolts that hold the 2 sides together).

I hope you all understand what that says, lol.

Any ways....can I pull the GMC carrier bearing apart and use the GMC driveshaft (with a new chevy carrier bearing ) to get me back on the road?

Thanks,
Woody aka Woody1
Woody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
Woody

Ttt
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Huck

Woody, any configuration of the driveshaft will probably work. There are also several places that specialize in Driveshaft repair-rebuild in Louisville. They can set you up with anything you need and balance the dual driveshafts in the process. There are two different types of carrier bearing that will work with our trucks--I've used both types on the same truck ---just whatever was available. Just be sure to line things up straight and re-lube or replace the universal's as they are cheep but do fail at the most inappropriate time---"Murphy's Law"! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
Woody

Huck,

Thanks I'll look under the truck and see if there is bolt holes for the GMC driveshaft's Carrier Bearing, then swap the whole thing. Or if I can swap out to the other (type on the Chevy) and still use the GMC Driveshaft.

I got Lucky when it broke I was only a couple miles from home and my wife came along just as I was calling her. So we went to the house, got a chain and towed it home all in about 30 mins. But it was getting dark so I didn't have time to do anything except dig out the GMC Driveshaft you had sold me. Hmmmm, Guess I did need that after all.

Woody
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote