The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
john@thepier

engine shop

I went and got a part time job at the engine and design shop ,since the fishing buisness will slow down,like it always dose this time of year.the guy that owns it is going to let me come and go as I or my fishing schedule allows.today was the first day I got to stand in front of the parts washer for 9 hrs.and clean parts for a 36 ford and a 502 chevy motor.not glamorous I know .but in time I will learn so much. and I will be able to buy parts ect. to build my engines under the owners guidence.the owner is known in these parts to be the best,several of the customers I met today were into tractor pulls.one of them is the raining pts. champion for the area.this is going to be one of the coolest jobs I've ever had,{and to think I fish for a living}
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
incoma

That's exactly what I did one summer. I tore down engines, put them in the vat, and blasted heads in the bead cabinet. I was able to learn how to perform valve jobs, replace valve seats and guides. I even ground flywheels and setup the boring machine.. It was a great experience, + I walked away with about 8 ready to assemble engines just waiting for bearings!
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Good move. You can learn a lot in a place like that. Sounds like you have a boss who wants to train people. I talked to a local machine shop owner last week who has lost all of his help. Said he can't hire anyone since to vo-tech quit teaching machine skills and started teaching people how to flip burgers and change bedpans.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by john@thepier
this is going to be one of the coolest jobs I've ever had,{and to think I fish for a living}
That's bass akwards.Congrats on the job though,make the most of it.Knowledge is power
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

what's the name of the shop? I used to spend a lot of time at a speed shop south of you in Gurnee Ill. you wouldnt believe the stuff coming through the door. my then boss was running a Federal Mogul Dragster. the hat on top of the blower costs $3000! I have always wanted to do an aprenticeship part-time in a machine shop.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
john@thepier

the name of the shop is ENGINE DESIGN & MACHINE its in Delavan,WI 1-262-728-4254
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote