The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
TugOwar

Your opinions needed - exhaust

Hi all,

I want to get my son dual exhaust for his 77 lwb as a Christmas gift. We will keep the stock manifolds for now.

Anyway, I found this kit - WLK-89003 and these mufflers - WLK-24201 at Summit. I need your opinions on how you think this set up will work for his truck. Keep in mind we don't have torch or welder so if any mods would be required I need to know that before I order.

Many many thanks guys.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:23 AM   #2
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

That kit fits the 4x4. I've used bought 4 or five of them and they worked great. Hard to beat for the money. You don't have to use their mufflers if you want something different.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
TugOwar

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I don't see where it says it's for 4x4 but if it is that means it will have bends that are not needed for a 2x4 right? Will that be a problem? Would you recommend and different part# or even a different vendor?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Take a look at the bottom of this page. It's from Jegs, but they are the same parts.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...90&prmenbr=361
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
Old 10-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

If you are looking for a fairly cheap, but good muffler, take a look at Flo Pro mufflers. I've got a set on my GMC, and I'm very happy with them, at an idle, all you can hear is a little it of a wump out of the pipes, but they sound VERY good when you get into the pedal a bit. They also quiet way down when you are cruising, unless you are going 60 mph or above, then they start to a drone a little bit, but still not bad enough that you can't have a regular conversation with anyone
Old 10-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Yeah im a loser, im gonna replace my clogged muff with an OE equivalent from whoever. I like the sound of exhaust but i couldn't stand listening to it always and forever.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
TugOwar

Thanks very much for the info guys. It is very much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
dswancutt

Your opinions needed - exhaust

Joe is exactly right on the system from Jeg's. I installed one on my 78 K-10 on Joe's recomendation, and it was a fairly painless install, except for breaking the brake line at the rear bracket, but that was because the bracket had been bent at some time, and had nothing to do with the Jeg's/Dynomax system. I highly recommend the Jeg's/Dynomax system.

Doug
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:45 PM   #9
alpha_male0203
95 extended cab sportside

Where can you find the Flo Pro mufflers? Auto Zone? PLaces like that? thanks shane

95 Chevy k 1500
00 Chevy Silverado 1500
07 cobalt Old ladies car]
alpha_male0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:16 PM   #10
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

The Jeg's/Dynomax system is for trucks without catalytic converters, right?

What about those of us who have to pass a sniffer test? Can I get a similar setup?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:36 PM   #11
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Here is another Dynomax kit that is Cat-Back. Note it is more expensive and less complete, but it's an option if you don't have a good exhaust shop close by to go to.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...86&prmenbr=361

It also depends what kind of smog tests you have to go through. If you can get by with adding cats to the more complete system I linked to before, that would probably be better. I also like the one CaptKaos is selling on his site that Swervin just put on his truck.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:17 PM   #12
Tom
driving is in my blood

Nobody just goes to a exaust shop and has a system bent up the way you want it anymore?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:08 PM   #13
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

too expensive that way Tom, cheapest place i could find to get one done was $300, and that was for 2 1/4 pipes, out the sides just like the Dynomax and Hooker kits. plus, i had to supply the mufflers. also, most muffler shops compression bend, where the Hooker kit, and AFAIK the Dynomax, are mandrel bent. BTW, the custom bent setup i was looking into, as far as they knew, was a "mud truck" that would see no street use, so i wasnt going to put cats on it.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:33 PM   #14
Destructo

I bought a hooker exhaust kit for my header equipped truck and it worked good and is 2 1/4" mandrel bent, I have to pass smog so I cut sections out for cats, but it was tough on the passenger side because there wasn't enough straight material, I bought the shortest cats I could buy just to make it fit and I still cut some pipe off that cat so it would slide on.

Most of those kits you can just cut a peice out to add a cat in. But, beware, if you want it loud, cats will make it quiet enough almost for no mufflers.

I like the way my system sounds with 2 cats and 2 flowmaster 40 series, its not too loud, about half as loud as 2 40s and straight pipe.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:57 PM   #15
TugOwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGracho
Take a look at the bottom of this page. It's from Jegs, but they are the same parts.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...90&prmenbr=361
Update: I ordered the exhaust kit recommended here by ElGracho and a couple of super turbos to go with it. Started the install today but not complete yet.

Only problem I've found so far is that the flanges that bolt to the manifolds were wrong. The inside diameter was right but the bolt pattern was too wide. I was able to use a Dremel to elongate the holes enough to fit, I just thought it was odd that the kit contained the wrong flanges.

Son is anxious to get it completed and here what it sounds like! Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:21 AM   #16
Majician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Nobody just goes to a exaust shop and has a system bent up the way you want it anymore?

I won't buy a prebent kit. I had the exhaust shop do mine because he will weld the pipe directly to my headers (no leaks) and weld the pipe to the mufflers (no leaks again) and will fix and/or replace anything that breaks. I also have a crossmember for my divorced t-case that would be in the way of a kit.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 03:21 AM   #17
Russell
Professional Grade

Flo-Pros came from a local exhaust shop, not sure where you can get them elsewhere...
Old 12-27-2004, 03:26 AM   #18
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972
I won't buy a prebent kit. I had the exhaust shop do mine because he will weld the pipe directly to my headers (no leaks) and weld the pipe to the mufflers (no leaks again) and will fix and/or replace anything that breaks. I also have a crossmember for my divorced t-case that would be in the way of a kit.
You sure thats such a good idea? welding directly to the headers!? I mean, if you plan on using that system, for a LONG while, I guess its ok.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:40 AM   #19
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972
I won't buy a prebent kit. I had the exhaust shop do mine because he will weld the pipe directly to my headers (no leaks).....
I've done three kits as of finishing my '86 today.
As far as welding vs. clamping, I did my '79 Suburban 4x4 (installed around Feb '01) and my '81 Jimmy (around Oct '02) and never had any problems. Well not with the clamps anyways. The manifold gasket that came with the kit (between head and header) kept getting leaks on the '79. After about the fourth leak I replaced the gaskets with some of the foil looking ones for cast manifolds and I haven't had a problem since? I should mention I used the cheaper headers both times, like around $99. Both of these were the Dynomax (Walker) header back kits with no cats. Installed easy as pie, everything I needed was there and no suprises.
Now, I worked on my '86 GMC 4x4 a good part of the day X-mas eve, and quite a bit today. It was the "cat-back" system listed above. It was actually four parts - cat-back exhaust, intermediate pipe, hi-flow cat and hanging bracket.
I mocked it up on the ground next to the truck before I removed the existing exhaust. I should have taken a picture to refer back to later.
First problem when I started to install was the muffler was against a bracket and "resting" on the e-brake cable housing, and tail pipes were rubbing against the spare tire bracket and the rear spring shackle(?). I also couldn't get the tips to line up very well and the hanger bracket wouldn't line up to the pipes worth a s**t. It looked then, and now, that the bracket was formed backwards?
When I ordered the kit they told me the kit was discontinued (4x4) and gave me the number to Dynomax to find another solution. They guy there told me all the individual pieces cross-referenced to 4x4's so the kit should be the same. I am thiinking this may have something to do with the shackles being in the way.
The next problem was that the bends that go over the axle were mostly behind the axle. It didn't say anything about trimming or cutting and the guy on the phone kept stressing "bolt-on", but when I looked on the sheet and it said compatable with Suburban and Blazer I figured it must be implied that bolt-on means some modificaton required?
Unfortunatly this means taking it completely apart from the tailpipes forward. And let me tell you, these "slip-joints" don't like going together very easily so they don't like coming back apart very well either.... 4 times?!?
First I trimmed one end of the im. pipe about an inch. Then a few more inches. I then trimed the other end down about an inch and the end of the cat about an inch (net gain because of slip joint was about an inch). All told I think I trimmed about 3" from the exhaust which I think is the difference between a LWB and a Suburban.
Final result - I still couldn't get the all four bolts on the rear hanger bracket, but it feels solid. I had to go to the store and buy 3 more 2-1/2 u-bolts. It still is up against some things under the truck. But I am tired and its good enough (until something starts to make noise and I have no choice).
Next up, doughnut gaskets and manifold gaskets.....
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)

Last edited by kevinr1970; 10-04-2007 at 11:28 PM.
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:59 PM   #20
Majician

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lf-
You sure thats such a good idea? welding directly to the headers!? I mean, if you plan on using that system, for a LONG while, I guess its ok.

I like it this way because I don't like leaks, and I never have had much luck seperating a connection for pipe/muffler removal anyway. The guy that does my exhaust work bends the pipes so that the transmission and transfer case can be dropped down between the pipes for replacement. My truck does a lot of twisting off road (see pics below) and is often up to the doors in water/mud and the clamp type connections will work loose quickly and leak. I have only one spot that gaskets are used, and that's where my cheap $79.00 headers bolt to the heads. I use Victor exhaust manifold gaskets (for factory cast iron manifolds) and never have any problems.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:52 PM   #21
Stingray42
Woot.

thats a wild lookin truck ya got there 1972

I get my exhaust bent up at a shop accross from where iwork. he does great work for a decent price
Old 12-30-2004, 12:44 AM   #22
bluejimmy76

I would rather use an exhaust shop that does good work and take there time than trying to use a "bolt on" kit. I had a buddy that owned Custom Muffler here in Mountain View, CA and he did nothing but custom work. His exhaust systems were flawless pieces of art. What's nice about a muffler shop is they can bend the pipe so the system is tucked up nice and level and fits the contours or you particular truck. I don't like systems that hang down so you can see it. Also all the joints are mig welded to assure nothing falls off or leaks. Also all muffler shops out here use aluminized tubing so it don't rust in a week. The choice is up to you. Next week Im getting a new system done on my 76 stepside, I'm debating either using Doug Thorley tri-y headers or the hedman step headers, 2 1/2" pipe with dynomax hemi turbos. Then have the pipes exit just underneath the bumper at a slight downward angle, no chrome tips. It should come out sweet.
bluejimmy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:00 AM   #23
784X4GUY
Did someone say MUD?

Yeah me to on my 78 K20 I would rather pay the extra and have a custom made setup put on to where it would be up and out of the way. So that I don't tear it off if I ever get crazy when Im offroad. I just have never had them directly weld the pipe to the collectors to wear I couldn't get them off. But then again different strokes for different folks ya know. Oh yeah 1972 I love the way your truck flexes them muscles lol!!!! Later Mike

Mini trucks are for guys who cant get it up!
784X4GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #24
784X4GUY
Did someone say MUD?

Oh 1972 just another question how did you get that thing to be able to flex like it does? And would you mind if I PM'd you bout a few things? I gotta 78 K20 and was wondering if I could talk with ya bout it? Later Mike

Mini trucks are for guys who cant get it up!
784X4GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:08 AM   #25
mudgutsandglory
Certified Truck Nut

i have a piece of advice for people who get a shop to bend their pipes, be there when they bend the pipes!! i had mine done while i was at work, and they suck!!! they look like a blind man welded them, the mufflers are clamped on, and the whole mess leaks like you wouldnt believe
later
Dan
mudgutsandglory is offline   Reply With Quote