The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
TugOwar

God watchs over children and fools

I'm 38 (39 Nov 3rd) so I must be a fool, and God was watching over me yesterday.

Couple days ago I pulled the old rusty "checker plate" step bumper off my 68 so I could sand and prime below the tail gate and lower rear of the truck behind the bumper. Decided to go ahead and clean up and rattle can the old bumper before I put it back.

Went to Tractor Supply and picked up wire brush cup for my 4" side grinder and went to work on the bumper. That brush really was the trick too, old flaking paint and rust gone in a flash!

So I'm just working away when the wind kicks up behind me (working under a carport) and blows the front of my T-shirt out away from me. You can guess what happened then. Next thing I knew I had 1/2 my t-shirt and a buzzing 4" grinder under my right arm! Talk about scared sh!tless!

Fortunately the breaker in the house tripped off and everything came to a standstill. All this happened in like 1 1/2 seconds. The brush barely got me across the belly before the shirt covered the wires and my right arm is sore from where it wrenched the grinder away from me.

What makes it so foolish is that I know better than to wear loose clothing while using power tools, but I ignored my better judgement.
It coulda been so much worse than it was.

Be careful guys and gals.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
Kat

I have done basically the same thing with a drill and long hair.Duhhhh!
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I caught the tail of a button up shirt,which was unbuttoned cause I was cool,in a bench grinder when i was a teenager.It came right off,just like the one Tim Taylor lost in Home ImprovementHappened so fast,I didn't know what happened.I always wear a t-shirt,tucked in now.

Glad you're OK,that could have been nasty
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
BraveDave

Does anyone remember the 70's folk singer Shawn Phillips? He had hair down to his waist and it wound up getting caught in the prop of a small outboard motor. He cut it short soon thereafter!
Old 10-30-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I had the exact same thing happen except it wasn't with a wire wheel. I was using a 8" grinding disc at the time and it sucked my T-shirt in it. I had a 8-10" scratch across my belly where the disc grazed me before I got it stopped. It was a few centimeters away from giving me an apendectomy....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
67ChevyC10Stepside

i've had that happen a couple times..once with a wire brush and once with a hole saw in my t-shirts...but im 6'8 so my arms are big enough it didnt really twist my arm and i didnt get hurt so i've never learned yet....lol
Old 10-30-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
Alexis
Member since 2000

been there done that. Had a diegrinder slice my shirt across my belly. Almost had my wrist slit by a diegrinder too. Good times. Both times at work.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:36 PM   #8
Olden Days
Living In The Past

That can happen even with tight fitting shirt. As a metal worker I learned long ago that wire wheel can kick out and get you, even when you think you have good control. get your self a leather bib type apron at the welding supply store for wire wheeling.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #9
68 Stepside
huh?

I laid my thumb open on the side with a die grinder and a cutoff disk. I've also run a 12" grinder into my upper thigh....the scar is still there to remind me to pay more attention to what I'm doing... I've done numerous other stupid things too.....like cutting the very tip of my left index finger off at an angle, with a razor knife. Also cut deep into my left index finger at the base with a razor knife...duct tape and paper towel fixed it right up though, can barely see that scar now!!!
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:26 AM   #10
krazy_texan

fortunatly that has never happened to me but once at school i was to lazy to put on my boots before going in to the welding shop and i can tell you to never weld with a pair of chuck taylors on your feet, it hurts.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:28 AM   #11
70 net440

I once took the arbor nut of an eight inch grinder right in the nose, after it climbed up my arm. Bled all over the shop, and freaked the wife out when she showed up to take me to the ER. Face shields, long sleeves, and gloves are our friends.
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:51 AM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

I've had the angle grinder / wirebrush try to eat my hoodie twice now... Both times I was wirebrushing something and had it lurch back at me, and grab my hoodie right square in the center of my chest, lol It twists the thing up real tight until I turn it off...

Never had it rip anything, but it does get your heart pounding and leave you with a bit of a wirebrush rash, lol
Old 10-31-2004, 02:55 AM   #13
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

ouch .. hair .... coming from a guy thats got roughly 14 inches .....................................................(of hair) ... that sounds horrible

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:04 AM   #14
moodybo

Oh yeah well i stayed at a holiday inn last night!

No it sucks leaving power tools on when plugged to a switch that turns on by the light switch! like my belt sander that suddenly took off like a striped ass ape when the light got turned on! i was dancing trying to get away from it!
moodybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:22 AM   #15
corn

My hair has been short for quite a while now. I had fairly long hair & got it caught up in one of my creeper wheels & could barely get out from under the truck I was working on. It hurts your head & makes you feel really stupid.

What I didnt cut off has now fallen out ...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:56 AM   #16
N242MUCH

tugowar, that would never happen to me becuse i grind in the nude. lol
N242MUCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:25 AM   #17
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I was always a fan of using a wire wheel without glasses or a mask until one of the wires flew out and drilled itself into the middle of my nose. Yea, no glasses, spinning object with wires that can shoot off, brilliant. Glad I teach the leaders of tomrrow.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by N242MUCH
tugowar, that would never happen to me becuse i grind in the nude. lol
See, the problem with that, grinders HAVE to eat something on you once in a while...I think everyone either has, or will get tangled up....think about what the grinder will gram and wrap around if you were nude.

Most of these stories sound pretty familiar, and I have done many of them myself too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:26 AM   #19
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

71 Longbed I hear you.I wear my hair in a long ponytail.Or did I just cut 15 inches off of it and sent it to "Locks-of-Love".I do wear it in a tail long enough to tuck down the back of my shirt when working.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:03 PM   #20
Bleach
this guy

Got to admit......while working on some conduit in long baggy shorts, I drilled through the conduit and then it wrapped the left leg of my shorts all around my drill.....I almost put a hole in my thigh though.....good work shorts now though!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:10 PM   #21
sactoC10
71 DELUX

I've not had any such experience yet with the grinder, but have had a similar close call with a motorcycle chain. SCARY (kind like the board colors today)!!!

Speaking of God, tonight my truck will be all decked out at our church for "trunk or treat" festivities. May God watch over all of us, our kids and our families!

Later!!! (BOO)

Last edited by sactoC10; 10-31-2004 at 12:12 PM.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:40 PM   #22
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I was using a wire brush in a grinder and later that dayfelt a sharp pain in my stomach. Pulled my shirt up and founf a little bit of metal sticking out of my belly, pulled on it and it was a bristle from the wire brush sunk about 2/3rds of its length in me, thank god for the layer of protective padding I always wear around my middle under my skin(that's my story and I'm sticking to it, it has nothing to do with eating too much and drinking beer!)

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:48 PM   #23
Budweis
Geared for Collision

im one of those lucky guys that dont have the hair problem as i have none and what i have has had crewcut. usually when im doing something like cutting or grinding i put my foot on it so its down there more, so guess if it goes through my steel toes id be more likely to lose a toe or something. ive slung stuff in my face before and hurt like hell so im pretty careful nowadays.
1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #24
72 3/4 ton

I've had grinder rash and other foolish injuries but the one I will always remember is being knocked out unconscience from a 1/2 drill slipping out of my hands while pushing a hole saw trought a solid door. I was leaning on the drill with my hand and shoulder and the saw hung up and got loose from my hand, came around and the handle knocked me right in the temple. I was on the job sight and woke up with my bags nailed to the floor and a stack of scrap lumber all around. DUH!
88 IROC
71rsZ28
28 Model A Tudor
72 3/4 ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:25 PM   #25
crews
It just doesn't matter

I have done many of these things as well during the course of my "Automotive Lessons of Life"....Once I was drilling a sheetmetal bracket on the bench and was thinking " wow this might grab and spin on me when I break through the other....UHGGOOMMPPPFFF" Yep- SMACKED right in the old "package"....

Then once with the long hair thing....rolled up under the truck to work on it, gave myself a good push off so I could get back under it quickly...rolled my hair right up in the caster, pinning my head to the creeper. No one else home. Couldn't move. Had to "throw" my body off the creeper to get it to where I could untangle. Immediately went and cut my hair.

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote