The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Mudder

Interesting Read!!!!!

Don't want this to become a all out political thread and if it does I'll delete it, but thought the ones with lifted trucks or trucks with after market parts would find this interesting.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/0...ws/1trucks.htm
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Devil'S Ride

wow...what a load of crap. IMO, those of us that lift our trucks tend to know a little more about vehicles, therefore we anticipate the worse brakeing and handling. I cant say anything for the yuppie folks that buy a Ferd excretion or the like, lift it 6 inches an strap on some mall terrains so the wife can drive it to the grocery store, as to me thats dangerous. but for us that do the work an know the truck, we tend to take more care, especially cause we dont want to wreck our hard work.

argh...Im done ranting...Im just tired of stupid people.....

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
Mudder

She makes it sound like being drunk and running a red light had nothing to do with the accident.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Interesting read.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

not a bit bias eh ? http://www.usnews.com/usnews/usinfo/infomain.htm thats their contact us area.. I plan on asking them a few questions in relation to the article.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
784X4GUY
Did someone say MUD?

I swear some peoples kids...Its gonna end up there's gonna be laws for every little thing. Yeah She made it sound like the drinking had nothing to do with the accident.

Mini trucks are for guys who cant get it up!
784X4GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
SanitysBane

yellow journalism anyone?
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:18 PM   #8
white82
White 82

it wasnt that durnks fault give her a shorty truck and see if its bettrt
Old 11-04-2004, 06:27 AM   #9
Gunny
runnin on empty

I am now in the process of lifting my Suburban 3 inches so I can not say how the handling will be , but before I lifted my 87 Jeep Cherokee every sharp turn I made felt like it was going to roll due to the soft springs/coils, after lifting it 6 1/2 inches I could really feel a difference in the handling of it and in my opinion it handled a whole lot better on the street then it did in stock form.

Also having driven only Jeeps for the last 14 years (until this year when I bought the burban and a tbird) starting with a CJ-7 I have come across articles like this more then once, most of them aimed at Jeeps, so this is not anything new.

gunny
United States Marine Corps
SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS
"Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Last edited by Gunny; 11-04-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Well, I am guessing that it looks like insurance companies are going to start taking notice and checking out if your truck is modified or not.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #11
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t5Silverado
Well, I am guessing that it looks like insurance companies are going to start taking notice and checking out if your truck is modified or not.
i'm in BIG trouble. there isnt anything on my truck that wont be modified.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There have been some very restrictive laws in Ohio for more than 10 years. The only restriction before that was a headlight maximum height of 54". After the "lift laws" went into effect you could not raise the vehicle in any way that would put the bumpers more than 4" above the stock height. If you were to modify the bumpers to "get around" this measurement....they just measured the truck at the frame rails. Thus no lifted trucks with low bumpers. This all went into effect in the late 80s or 90, somewhere in there. Apparently though the laws have changed lately or they are not being enforced. I have seen a lot more high trucks again in the last few years.

It's all BS though, because any truck over 10,000 GVW was exempt from this!?!?!? OK, you can't raise a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick-up....but if you want to kill someone with a bigger truck...it's ok.

It's all stupid, they are once again going after something you can see/test instead of the real problem. Just like the cell-phone thing. It is already illegal to drive "distracted" ...so if the phone is a distraction to you, you get a ticket for that. If it is not a distraction to you, why ban them? are you going to ban children, egg Mcmuffins and radios too??? I would bet everything I own that more accidents are caused by any one of these

I would much rather see saftey tests/inspections than modification bans. I'm sure that you can "properly" build and safely drive a lifted truck (I did it for years...before the law change). Yet I know that there are people driving litteral junk in and around my neighborhood.
In Ohio the check point safety inspections are only looking for working lights/signals, horn, Hi an Low beam headlights, wipers, windshield and that the parking/E brake will hold the vehicle against light throttle in gear. These are ramdom, yet you must pull over if they point you out. Most of the time you get a written warning for minor infractions, but if you have too many you could get impounded. But these things don't automatically make a car "safe" anymore than 2-3 beers makes one dangerous. Once again they are looking at it all wrong.... Say that car has a bent/broken suspension parts that make it pull/dart or a leaky wheel cylinder or axle seal making it jerk under braking.......but it would still pass the safety inspection

Or put my mother (or anyone over a given age for that matter) in a device that can test reaction time........now give me a few beers and the same test. Now when I blow her time away....do they take her license? No, they would give ME the ticket/car ride. But the point of the drunk driving law is about reaction time. Not that I am defending drinking and driving...I am NOT, but you see the point, they are looking at the what appears to be the easiest solution and taking away the rights or the regular guy again.
Maybe there should be a reaction time test instead of that goofy little vision test we have here....that would test both at the same time now wouldn't it?

Same with seat belt laws and even the more recent smoking bans....just one more right taken away. (I'm not a smoker and never have been...but I hate to see these types of laws) One just passed here....what's next??? The smoking ban may not affect me, but the next one might!

Sorry, got my soapbox out there
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote