The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
85Silveradoin04

Vacuum readings

So I did a ported to manifold comparison.

At idle (1000RPM) with the dizzy on ported vac, I'm running 19 - 19 1/2"
At idle in gear (750RPM) with the dizzy on ported vac, I'm running 15 - 15 1/2". With the needle resting more on 15".

At idle (1000RPM) with the dizzy on manifold vac, I'm running 19 3/4 - 20"
At idle in gear (750RPM) with the dizzy on manifold vac, I'm running 16 - 16 1/2". With the needle resting more on 16".

Is this good for a freshly rebuilt ZZ4? One thing I noticed when changing from ported to manifold vacuum, the idle increased to 1300RPM. I had to lower it to a grand to get a better comparison. Whats the reason for this? Does this affect driveability?

While ported, the truck idles very well. Matter of fact, a buddy of mine has a '03 vette and its very similar.

With manifold, it seems to be more choppy. Hmm

Last edited by 85Silveradoin04; 11-10-2004 at 09:39 AM.
85Silveradoin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Manifold vacuum advances the timing because it has vacuum at idle. Ported is above idle so no advance of timing.

Leave it on manifold vacuum for best economy and idle. Plus it helps on engine temps too. Have you checked to see how much advance you are getting from the vacuum canister at idle with manifold vacuum?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
85Silveradoin04

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Manifold vacuum advances the timing because it has vacuum at idle. Ported is above idle so no advance of timing.

Leave it on manifold vacuum for best economy and idle. Plus it helps on engine temps too. Have you checked to see how much advance you are getting from the vacuum canister at idle with manifold vacuum?
swervin ervin, Thanks for the reply. No not sure about the cannister. I know I running 12 initial and I believe 36 total. Do you think I'm pulling good vac? One thing I'm gonna do is check my power valves. Seems to be running a little rich.
85Silveradoin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 AM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yeah, vacuum seems pretty good to me. Anything around 19-20 is good. A lot depends on what cam you have. It's all I can do to get 15-16.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
PHOENIX

I have tried going from ported to manifold a few times now after Swervin recommended it.
I also had rpm increase at idle and had to adjust for it.
Its seems my idle gets rougher too. More then I would prefer.
Also during the test drive it seems pretty much the same, but at higher rpm's the engine doesnt rev as fast as the ported vacuum.
I ended up keeping it on ported every time I tried switching it.

Swervin what kind of performance differences did you notice from ported to manifold?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Remember, vacuum advance isn't for performance. It's an economy thing only.

Eddie, I couldn't tell you. In my entire life, anything I've setup or built, I've never run ported vacuum. It's not the way it's supposed to be, at all. The only reason GM ever thought it might be a good idea on the vehicles they did use it on was to keep spark knocking to a minimum. If they would have built a better engine to begin with, they wouldn't need it.

It's all a matter of experimenting to find what works best for you. Believe me, manifold vacuum is the way to go. If you didn't get good results with it, you have other problems that need to be addressed instead of trying to mask it with ported vacuum.