The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
67pro-street

Question about Cam differences

I have a 383 stroker engine and i wanted to put a larger cam into it. i was just wondering how i figure out if i need a solid type cam or a hydraulic lifter type cam. is there even any difference and what are the pro's and con's to each type. Also, i was wondering what else i have to change if i put a larger cam in. im pretty sure i will have to get different length pushrods, but will i also have to change the rocker arms and springs and the timing chain etc.

thanks,

67pro-street

Last edited by 67pro-street; 11-11-2004 at 11:04 PM.
67pro-street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
67pro-street

ttt, any ideas guys??
67pro-street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

How's the engine built; what level of performance are you looking for?

For street use, I'd go hydraulic, because they don't require periodic valve lash adjustment. Solid lifters do sound great, though, especially with headers.

Years ago, performance engines had solid lifter cams because hydraulic lifters of that time would "float" above 5500 rpm or so. Not sure how high they'll go now, but higher than you'll need for street use.

I'd contact a cam grinder or professional engine builder/supplier. They'll want to know all about your engine, plus vehicle weight, gearing, transmission type, and probably several other details.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
68LSS1

You won't have to change the timing chain/gears or rockers arms to put a solid lift cam in. Push rods possibly and valve springs/locks/retainers more than likely. It's hard to say not knowing who's springs and what part number they are. You will have to get the springs after buying the cam to ensure it will handle the lift without coil bind and rpm of the operating range of the cam. The pro's to the sloid lift cam are sound and the ability to turn higher rpm's without floating the valvetrain. The con's are having to adjust the valves every so often (or more often if driven hard). I am going with a solid lift roller set up in my LS1 but that's just me wanting to wind it out to 7k or 7,500. A lot of engines nowadays are using hydraulic roller set ups which IMO is better than the traditional hydraulic but not as good as a solid. I wouldn't go with a solid unless you're looking for some track time. You can get more than enough cam with a hydraulic set up. If you have a automatic tranny you're going to be needing a stall converter if you get too big. Give us the engine buildup and part numbers, especially of cam and valve springs and such and I am sure we can come up with a cam to fit what you want to do. Also include tranny type and rear end ratio like the post above as there are a lot of variables when it comes to choosing the right cam.