The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
guidojon
84 K20 beast

Question motor mount restraints

I am changing the engine in my 84 k20. The engine is not original. Under the motor mounts is a formed plate that has a rod bolted to the plate. The other end of the rod has a slot. Each rod is about 18" in length. When I purchased the truck the rods were not connected to anything and just dangling so I restrained. These parts are not hand made and look to be factory parts.

Can anyone tell me/show me where the other ends of the rods are to be connected. Looks like motor mount restraints but the end of the rods do not match up to anything within reach.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Jon Guido
jon.guido@us.vesuvius.com
guidojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
Longhorn4x4

Those rods are supposed to be bolted to a cast aluminum dust cover. That dust cover is found on 4x4 automatic transmission cases. Often, people remove the original 4x4 case, and the cast aluminum dust cover will not bolt to the other transmission cases. That is a bad idea. Those rods prevent flexing that eventually cracks the bellhousing, and dmages other components.
Longhorn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Longhorn4x4 is totally right, I have seen dozens of these left loose or totally removed. It is not a good idea.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
kwmech

Correct--the factory will not spend a penny on anything that is not absolutely necessary.
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
guidojon
84 K20 beast

Question

Thanks Guys! I assumed that the torque converter dust cover was a stamped steel type like all other cars & trucks. Yes, the dust cover is missing and I was going to search for a replacement. Time to check junk yards and mail order catalogs. Anybody know where I can find a new of used dust cover?

Regards,
Jon Guido
guidojon is offline   Reply With Quote