The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
chevybill

Talking richmond t 10 in place of a 3 speed

hey guys, i have a 6cyl with a 3 spd manual tranny.

i plan on installing a 350 with some other manual trans.

will a t 10 like summit or jegs sell bolt in place of the 3 speed?

i plan on moving the engine mounts to the v 8 locations, will this mean a new driveshaft as well? how much difference in total length is there between the 3 spd and 4 spd tranny?

would a 5 spd out of a late model (mid 90's) truck work with this application.

just do not really want an automatic.

thanks for your help
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

Chevbill,

I haven't used the Richmond personally, so someone else can add that info. I have recently done the 250/3spd to a 305/4spd(SM465) on our '69, in the manner you describe. I wrote it up in this thread, and some of that info may help you.

The Richmond and 3spds are similar configs, so with the V8 mounted forward, you should have room for a floor shifter without bench seat interference. You can probably also stick with the low hump in the cab. I suspect you will need driveshaft mods, but both trannys have a slipjoint rear, so you may get by easy if the splines match.

Depending on your HP, you may want a bigger clutch than your current setup. I think the stock cast iron bellhousing and starter that mount to it will limit your flywheel size, so that's something to consider. If you need to ditch the stock bellhousing and its crossmember, you can probably use an automatic crossmember to support the engine/trans assembly at the rear.

Those are some thoughts, I'm sure others will chime in. Hang in there, though - and let us know how it comes out.

SSOW
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

the T10 will bolt to your stock bell, but will require a couple mods....if you are 67 or older on the bell, the centerhole will be the proper size for the car type trans (4.683, or roughly 4 11/16"). 68 up on the truck bells went 5.126 on the center hole for the bell. if you have the later bell, you can swap it, or have a ring machined to press over the front bearing retainer on the trans to get the proper "pilot". You will need to bolt & nut the 2 bottom holes on the truck bell, as the threads are in the trans(no biggie, my Richmond is set up that way). You will also be running a 1 1/8" x 26 spline disc on the richmond box, vs the 1 1/8" x10 spine original. lenght should be pretty close, but best bet would be to check the richmond site for dimentions http://www.richmondgear.com/ On the eng stand swap, you will move the eng /trans ahead 3 1/2" moving to V8 sb spot.....that also means swapping the bell crossmember for the sb unit, or cutting it out & just running an auto crossmember under the trans (mine is that way). Best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
chevybill

thanks for the info, guys

thanks for the informative replies.

i see there is no easy way to make this conversion, i was hoping for mainly a bolt on project, since i do all of my work alone. (only car guy in my family)

Anyone used a later model trans? What are some other options for manual trans that I could possibly use?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
chevybill

wanted to send back to top of list

any one running a late model manual transmission?

like out of a 90's half ton or an s 10 with the 4.3 v6 - i have been told they are the same transmission in the big truck and the s 10 with the 4.3?