The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
68327stepside

Wheel and Brake trouble

Tonight I atempted to put my wheels back on after doing a complete front end rebuild including 73-87 disk brakes key word is atempted . The wheels are hitting the brake calipers to the point that once the lugs are torqued the wheel wont move. I have heard that there are wheels out there that you cannot switch from drum to brake for some reason. The wheels are Ultra branded 15X8's. The complete brake kit including 2 1/2" drop spindles is from McGaughys. If you look at the pics the center does not have the centering ring it just sits on the studs like the drum brake setup. I need to know if maybe I just did something wrong or do I need to get new rims. Thanks for the help everyone.
Attached Images

(The Beast) 68SWB Stepside Original 325hp/327 3:73 Posi Lowered 3.5/4.5
68327stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Looks like it's time for new wheels
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:25 AM   #3
GMCPaul

Thumbs up

If the calipers are just barely hitting rims then break out the grinder and remove a small layer of metal from the backside of caliper to allow clearance for the rim to rotate, we've removed up to about 1/16-1/8" from calipers backside in order to gain the clearance we have needed before, the caliper body itself is very very thick.
Be sure that when you have wheels balanced though that you tell person balancing them on clearance being tight we have seen wheel weights put in line with caliper body on inside of wheel rub also.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
GMCPaul

I guess I should have waited a little longer didn't know there was more than 1 picture, wheel weights will have to be moved on the rim to towards wheels hub mounting area backside or moved onto the the inside outer flange they will not work where they are now. Boy thats alot of weight on that wheel, if your friends with a tire man have him break that wheel tire combo down and spin wheel on balancer without tire find the heavy spot on rim and take a grinder to inside area of rim where air is when tire is mounted amd grind a thin layer off until wheel requires far less weight, if original tire installer didn't know what they were doing they may have installed heavy spot on tire in relation to the heavy spot on rim so you may be able to break tire down rotate it on rim 180 degrees and reinflate it so that your not that much in wheel weights, in my book anything over 1 to 2 ounces in lead required to balance a wheel is to much and only requires a little time to correct by grinding to lighten wheel on heavy side or rotating tire on rim that much weight is unreal to balance one looks like you have 6-8 ounces of lead on it at a 1/4 ounce per lead weight.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
68327stepside

Thank you GMC Paul! I filled a bit off the top edge and I can now rotate it with very little scrapping. I will take a little more off and everything should be good. It looked like it was the flashing from the casting process that was causing the problem. I was also planning to get the tire rebalanced also. Thanks again.
(The Beast) 68SWB Stepside Original 325hp/327 3:73 Posi Lowered 3.5/4.5
68327stepside is offline   Reply With Quote