The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
nu2-72

Tell me how to build a tach/vac

I know of 4 different dash possibilities. There may be more.
Gauge, gauge with tach, gauge with vac and gauge with tach and vac.

I have a tach dash and would like to add a vac gauge. I know that the tach dash does not have the hole punched for the vac gauge. This is difficult I hear.

Is it easier to use a vac dash and add the tach or how would you do it?
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
john
member #16

If you buy the vacuum guage kit from one of the board venders it comes with all of the needed parts.
John
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
StingRay

You either need to get the inner bezel with the correct holes or graft another hole from a doner where it can't be seen when it's all assembled. To be correct you'd need a lens with vacuum on it as well or if you like just polish it clear. I personally grafted the Vacuum part of the lens into my tach lens. It was BIG job but it was 10 years ago when repro stuff was not available and I had Zero money to spend
Old 11-24-2004, 12:42 AM   #4
HuggerCST

I built mine using a tach dash. I replaced the lens with a new vac/tach lens, drilled a hole in the backing plate to mount the vacuum gauge, and grafted a doner piece to my inner bezel(the metal tin with openings for each gauge). I cut a hole (about 1 & 3/4 I think) in the tin where the vac. gauge should be, then cut a larger piece from a donor tin that had the opening stamped in it, and epoxied it in place. The doner tin was a regular gauge dash, so I used the temp gauge opening as my donor. I know this probably doesn't make much sense, but anyway, it can be done, and wasn't too hard to do. I can't tell that mine was ever modified. I thought about making a tach/vac dash out of a vac dash that I had, but the opening in the tin for the tach is an odd size, and doesn't match the other tin openings, so I had no donor tin. You can always just cut a regular hole in the tin, but it won't look right at night when your dash lights are on.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote