The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2004, 06:05 AM   #1
farmaller

A Some Easy Questions

I hope I posted this in the right place first off.
Question #1, Is there a Factory Orignal style grill available for a 71 C20 that is chrome plated?
#2 Is it possible to have a plain grill plated and if so where and how much and does it matter if the grill is new or old?
#3 How hard is it to change the red plastic in the fuel guage that say's "Brake", the current one in the truck says "Tandem Lock"?
#4 Who makes the best replacement upper and lower trim with the wood grain?
#5 Is the passenger side tool box door(built into the side of the box) available aftermarket?
#6 Why does it seem like every dash we look at someone has drilled holes in it?
#7 Has anyone ever changed the gear ratio and added a under or over drive auxilary trans behind the 4 spd. trans? think it would be worth the effort?
#8 Is there a book available that gives the complete information on the 71 model accessories, options, build numbers and any other tid bits?
For a new guy I sure do ask alot of questions in my 3rd posting
farmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
mrein3

#1 & #2, OEM grills were available from the dealer not too long ago. They are annodized (sp?) aluminum. Some guys take undented original ones, oven cleaner the coating off, and polish them up. I believe many of the board sponsors carry aftermarket new ones.

#3 Just buy a new fuel gauge with the correct idiot light. Post a parts wanted ad on the parts board.

#6 Most of these trucks were used for what they were intended to be used for - work. Guys that worked out of them added different stuff to them.

#7 GM sold these trucks with an optional 3-speed manual with an overdrive. Every once in a while one is for sale on the parts board. Personally I'd change it over to a 700r4 automatic and leave the rear end gears alone.

Oh and welcome to the board from nearby Minnesota. Where abouts in Wisconsin is Rudolph?
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
farmaller

mrein3 Thanks for the reply.
Rudolph is more or less in the center of the state, North of Wisconsin Rapids, South of Wausau, West of Stevens Point and East of Marshfield
#7 Was just a off the wall thought since u\o auxillaries are advertised for the newer trucks, was thinking maybe it would be a way to keep the power yet have fuel mileage as well.
#3 was another thought, gonna have to stop doing that.
#1 & 2, this is in reguards to the inner plastic grill unless I'm misunderstanding something, which trust me wouldn't be the first time that happened.

Last edited by farmaller; 11-24-2004 at 09:32 AM.
farmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmaller
I hope I posted this in the right place first off.
Question #1, Is there a Factory Orignal style grill available for a 71 C20 that is chrome plated?
#2 Is it possible to have a plain grill plated and if so where and how much and does it matter if the grill is new or old?
#3 How hard is it to change the red plastic in the fuel guage that say's "Brake", the current one in the truck says "Tandem Lock"?
#4 Who makes the best replacement upper and lower trim with the wood grain?
#5 Is the passenger side tool box door(built into the side of the box) available aftermarket?
#6 Why does it seem like every dash we look at someone has drilled holes in it?
#7 Has anyone ever changed the gear ratio and added a under or over drive auxilary trans behind the 4 spd. trans? think it would be worth the effort?
#8 Is there a book available that gives the complete information on the 71 model accessories, options, build numbers and any other tid bits?
For a new guy I sure do ask alot of questions in my 3rd posting
#1 yes, a board vendor just posted a week or two ago, they now have new OEM type of grille that comes chrome plated right out of the box.

#3 just take the instrument cluster apart with a nut driver and the little red "eye" in the guages just sit in there. You simply pull it off and put the new one in it's place. Don't worry, the job is self explanatory once you pop the cover off of the cluster.

#4 any of our fine board supporting vendors will be happy to talk with you about your options on new side molding.