The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2004, 11:34 PM   #1
PMS

Stereo suggestions

My son wants an in dash CD player for his 72 GMC truck. It is not original by any means. I need suggestions on in dash CD unit and type of speakers to purchase and install. I know we will need to cut dash for a new style CD player. What is a good brand that is not too expensive? Does anyone make a good sounding replacement dash speaker that is 2 speakers? What about door speakers? Should I get 6" with a separate tweeter or what? What is a good brand of speaker? Also where is a good place to purchase these components? Sorry about all the questions but I am a stereo novice, last stereo I put in was an 8 track player....

Thanks, Parrish
PMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:36 PM   #2
Dean23
68cst_ss490

Th e best stereo is....listening to the rumble of the v8 engine through sme nice loud pipes
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
longnlow72

i have an alpine head unit, infinity 3-way 6x9's in the doors(two tweeters on the speaker), two infinty 4" speakers under the dash, an alpine amp and 2 10" jl audio subs under the seat, most people put 6x9's in the doors or 6" speakers, i made a bracket from leftover mdf from my sub boxes for the 4's under the dash. I dont know much about whats really good and whats not. but buy from ebay, there are stereo companys on there with brand new stuff for really cheap, but ebay was the route i went and was happy, hope this answers some of your questions
-Ben
72 Chevy lwb, cowl hood, shaved antenna, shaved bedrails, blazer tank, sidemarker fill, 1pc windows, flowmaster 40's, alpine deck, infinity 6x9's, infinity 4"ers, 2 jl audio 10w0's, grant wheel, keyless entry and alarm, more waiting to be done...
longnlow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Mom bought a nice JVC CD player from Walmart,and it's a decent player.DOesn't skip,and works great,even has remote,and it was $175,approx.Looks like it's a bit cheaper online.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Wal-mart has a Pioneer with 4 speakers for $98.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:17 AM   #6
68CST327

Best head units, in my opinion, are Alpines. I went with an Alpine CD/MP3 and Eclipse speakers in my '81 Cadillac. 6x9's in the package tray, and 4x6's in the dash. Sounded fantastic. Unfortunately some @$$holes broke my rear window and took my $500 Alpine unit. Completely ripped out my dash to get to it.

My truck still has the working original AM radio in it. I'm going to put an Alpine 9833 in the glove box, to keep the crooks from seeing it. Kick panel speaker housings with some nice 6.5" midrange speakers. Probably go with Eclipse again. I really like their sound, and the prices are good. One or two 8" subs under the seats, along with a powerful enough amp to drive them. The 60w per channel of the Alpine unit will be enough to power the front 2 channels. Also, I'm thinking of some 1" dome tweeters in the dash area to give the system some added high-end clarity. I think maybe with only the kick panel speakers, it might sound too muddy. Oh yeah, and I need an IR repeater so I can control the CD player and radio functions with the remote, while the head unit is hidden in the glove box. There was a thread on here not too long ago I recall, with exactly the set up I'm talking about.

I'm going to purchase the Alpine from eBay, where there are some hot prices. Speakers can come from an internet audio retailer.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:49 AM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

My K10 has a Sony CD player in the glove box with a wired remote that is attached to the steering column with a magnet. I have self enclosed speakers under the seat and a speaker behind the dash on both sides above the kick panels. Everything is out of sight and it sounds great. I really don't remember what brand the speakers are.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
GreyHoundSteve

Ive had plenty of stereos and imo Alpine makes the best. You wont even need an amp with a good Alpine head unit. As for speakers thats a matter of preference. In my 67 im installing 2 sets of Alpine 5.25 components but only one set of tweeters but i am installing 2 in the door panel and 2 in the kick panel. If i didnt get a hook up on Alpine i would have bought MB Quarts and if i was just wanting to do something easy i would install the Quarts 6.5 in my door. MB Quarts makes a component speaker with the tweeter mounted on a suspended swing arm infront of the woofer for ease of installation. GREAT sounding speakers.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
bigvinnie

if you're hesitant about cutting the dash, or you just want to keep things outa sight for security, put an older shaft style am/fm cassette player in the original radio opening and get an FM modulated cd changer for under the seat... I believe Kenwood and some others still makes a shaft style unit (or you can get one off ebay), then get a 12 disc cd changer with remote and you won't have to change discs all the time... make it an MP3 changer and you can fit 200 songs on each disc, so you'd only have to change discs once a month...

so you'll be showing a cassette player that no one wants to steal, and have a cd/MP3 changer that's outa sight and plays 12 times as many cds as an in-dash unit.

I have pioneer 6x9s in boxes that sit flush with the front of the bench seat, and tweeters sitting on the dash in the corners near the windshield.... the tweeters provide a front soundstage effect that makes a huge difference in clarity and seperation.

Dependiung on your tastes, you can add a powered sub under the seat (or behind it if you've moved the tank under the bed)

72 Stepside Project

Last edited by bigvinnie; 11-26-2004 at 02:12 PM.
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
djracer

If I didn't want to cut the dash I would buy a radio and changer that work together without a modulator! Custom Autosound makes a shaft unit that looks somewhat original and will control a changer!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote