The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2004, 02:15 AM   #1
lime_rocket

looking to buy '60 fleetside

i have an opportunity to buy a 1960 chevy long box fleetside. from conversations with the seller here is what know i about it:
-running 292/3 on the tree
-good glass
-decent interior
-rust on floorboards, rockers, front fenders and possibly cab corners
-straight frame, very few dents on the ttruck
the asking price is 800$ canadian with a set of eagle alloys on rubber

im looking for a truck to be a low budget restoration/daily driver
what are some keys points to look for when i go to look it over, i.e. things that could rust or wear out that are a huge burden and expense to repair or replace.

thanks for any input.

Ben
lime_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Ed Cardinal

Ben, I would say the truck is most likely worth what he is asking but you have to remember if it is very rusty or needs a lot of work the costs can add up real quickly to where you would be better off buying one in nice shape for more money. That is often the case with very CHEAP old trucks. But if the frame is in decent shape and not rusted and flaking and the body panels are not real bad and at least salvageable without having to replace a lot of them then most likely you can't go wrong. The 292 is a very strong truck motor but a very low max RPM motor and are not too good if you plan on doing a lot of hwy driving. Also those wrap around windshields are not cheap either so make sure that is okay. Most everything else is self explanitory on the truck. Good luck.................Ed.
Ed Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
Woogeroo

Talking

lime rocket,

here is a '60-'66 buyer guide...

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bu...uide_60_66.htm

tips on things to check for that are specific to these trucks.

It isn't every single thing, but there is some good information in there.

Hope it helps...

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
qksilver

I am picking up a 65 swb fleetside and 64 swb stepside this week end. The fleetside is a 327 400 trans and the stepside is 6 with 3 on the tree. I am buying them to get the chrome, 327 engine, the small 5 lug disc brakes and rear, and the swb fleetside bed. Let me see how good the rest of the parts are. depending on how much rust I would sell you a complete truck if you were interested. I would bolt everything together but what ever had to be hooked up would be on you. Plus alignment, Like I said i would see the rust situation see if it would be worth while project for you. Always...Always go for the best body you can first. I will get back to you Monday if you are interested.
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote