The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
Smokin86

Air Bag Fun

With all the recent talk about air bags on this forum lately, it has got me thinking. My front suspension and steering have been a little "iffy" the last few months. It seems to be a time for a rebuild.

Need some advice on what to buy.

1) All new bushings and rod ends.

2) New sway bar - i have the factory one, but i would prefer bigger than
stock if it would help in cornering

3) New pitman arm and steering box - not sure, but probably

Now the fun stuff

I want to install a four-link out back with bags all the way around. I have been looking around on the web, but all the bag setups lower alot. I want the bags for the increased ride quality and such things, not for the lowering.

I drive a LWB and i just don't like the look of them lowered. Can i use bags with stock ride hide?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1986 Silverado with some things upgraded.

Currently living in Arlington, TX going to school.
Smokin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
GreyHoundSteve

The only thing i know about bags is what ive learned on this site but from what i gather the nice thing about air bags is that ride height is completely adjustable. How i understand it is that each different bag has a different length (like a spring) and you just need to figure out what ride height you want and then order the appropriot bag. The guy who does my exhaust has his truck on bags in the back because he hauls a car trailer and you would never know by looking at the truck that it was bagged because it sits at about stock height. I bet one of the guys here could probably tell you the EXACT bag to buy to achieve stock ride height and it would probably be pretty easy to install since you should be able to maintain stock shocks and panhard bar.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #3
hotrodhomi

http://www.airride.com/
http://www.*****************/
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Smokin86

i was hoping for some responses from those that have bagged trucks.

Installing a four link is a little bit beyond what i'm capable of. Does anyone know of any good shops that could do it in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? Thanks

Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
flatblackclassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin86
i was hoping for some responses from those that have bagged trucks.

Installing a four link is a little bit beyond what i'm capable of. Does anyone know of any good shops that could do it in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? Thanks

I'd be happy to do it for you in my friends garage. What are you looking to do with this truck? You say you want it at stock height for ride height, or were you looking for a mild 2-4 drop when crusing around? We can do a lot of different things for you and if you are really thinking 4-link we can hook you up with a smooth ride. PM me and I'll get some more info from you.
flatblackclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Smokin86

flatblackclassic - PM sent

Old 12-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
bagged_and_bodydrop
Just drag it

i have a bagged 85 if thatll help

on the back you'll need a 4 link, i recomend one from chassis tech run u about 500, but its well worth it, 1inch hime joints big and beefy, i bounce mine on 350 psi of nitrogen and bends nothing, for air bags i would use conitechs from suicide doors, 1/2 inch really good bags. You'll need electric valves cause manuals suck lol, I love smc's there great sounding and fast get them from suicide doors also, and of course youll need fitting, and air line, air tank, compressor viar 450s are good i have 4 and love them suicide doors price about 180 a peice, get a suicide doors 8 inch bridge kit for the back youll love it, basic and simple as can be, thats bassically all you need to lay the frame on the ground with 20s, the front i have 3/8th line, bags, valves. I used chassis-tech brackets. Chassistech.com and ***************** those are the places to go. I do this for a living in my shop in ardmore oklahoma so yeah i know what to do lol.
bagged_and_bodydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #8
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged_and_bodydrop
on the back you'll need a 4 link, i recomend one from chassis tech run u about 500
Do you have more info on this? I've been to Chassis tech and I cant find anything for that price. I'm trying to piece together a kit for my '81 swb.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
bagged_and_bodydrop
Just drag it

piece together

the 4 link from chassis tech i got is weld on, it was kind of a pain to do but it was simple install, call chassis tech i did they have more stuff that way, it comes with a notch, but u dont need it since its only a 6 inch, and youll need a bridge kit from suicide doors, with a 8 inch notch, here where it get weird
the bags will go on the outside and the 4 link on the inside of the frame because the frame is so narrow, the 4 lin kwill erun you exactly 575 or close to that with shipping just call chassis tech, every time you order something call them dont do it over the net, expecially this technical, make shure your bars on the 4 link are exactly the same, youll get a panhard par mine go to the rear end to the inside of the step notch, if you going with 22s or bigger get a 10 inch bridge kit, im tuckin 20s with an 8 inch, ont he notch dont get anything special cause ull cut it all up i went with airlift 2600s that way i have plenty of room. If you have anymore querstion call my shop or email me at bag_it_n_drag_it@hotmail.com or the shop is 580-221-4824.

Thanks Ross
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #10
bagged_gmc
Shaved

^^^That's where I got all my work done and it
Old 12-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #11
Shev
Head Peon

For Gods sake stay away from Chassis Tech...it's AIM (I love the same guy who says don't use relays on your compressors recommends AIM products...nuff said) Do youself a favor and buy a four link from a reputable company and have somebody that actually knows what they are doing install the thing. KP has recently come out with a bolt on four link for your truck, you can get it from alot of places www.***************** being one of them. There is no reason you can't fit a fourlink on the outside of the frame like everybody else does. I have a parallel fourlink from suicidedoors for my '88 burb, it's freakin' huge and it'll still fit on the outside of the rails and I still think I can fit a 10" wide rim.

Last edited by Shev; 12-07-2004 at 07:22 PM.
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 PM   #12
Smokin86

thanks for all the replies lately. i have been held captive by finals so far this week. Took my last final about an hour ago. i'm free for about a month

time to blow some money on the truck

i have been lookin at suicideddoors or airride. my problem is that i can't weld and i'm not confident modifing my frame and suspension even if i could. now that i don't have school to worry about for a while, i can find a shop around the metroplex to take my money.

today is a great day...no more tests

Old 12-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #13
BaggedC10
Under construction!

WORD on staying away from AIM Industries/Chassis Tech/Truckin' Suspension. The horror stories related to this company are endless.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:06 AM   #14
bagged_and_bodydrop
Just drag it

yeah why dont u go measure

Yeah you can put em on the out side
and then not have any room for ur bags why dont u go measure, like i spent 3 days doing, and if u went threw relays like every one does down here in the rain and snow ud do it to lalalalalalalalala. The frame is narrower that the rest I dont see what yall have against chassis tech or aim or whatever the lalala u wanan call it, 1 inch hime joints and breakin and bendin, yeah u go try to put it on the out side of the frame, and the weld have ur bag bracket and have it sittin lop sided. Your burban frame is also wider in the back that mine is. lalalala get the fact before you act like you know what your talkin about.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #15
Shev
Head Peon

Check out Hills Hot Rods they are in Lubock Texas and know a little about your body style truck. I'm sure Jason Hill would be more than happy more than happy to take your money and give you some quality work. I know a guy on a different forum from Texas that should know all the good places to go and the bad ones to stay away from if you need.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #16
bagged_and_bodydrop
Just drag it

does this look like some one that dont know what hes doin?

edited by Josh: Consider this your one and final warning.. read the forum rules follow them or your stay will be very short.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2004, 12:17 AM   #17
bagged_gmc
Shaved

^^^^3 times lol
Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 AM   #18
Shev
Head Peon

First off ~ english and typing skills...you might wanna work on them...

Second ~ "down here" and "snow" doesn't add up...I live in MI and know plenty of guys that run relays on their stuff...but hey, what do I know, I'm an "ass clown" (for the record I'm not really into make-up on my butt)

Third ~ people have their feelings about AIM for a reason...if you've had good luck with them you are a rarity. Ever tried to return something to them or actually read their return policy?

No screaming at chicks for me...engine driven all the way...

And lastly...your truck looks like a cheap rip off of this one:

Yes those are 22's and it's laying rocker hard...

And oh yeah...nice starting stuff on a board you've been a member of for 4 days...
Old 12-08-2004, 01:00 AM   #19
Smokin86

shev - if you don't mind, i would greatly appreciate any info your friend from texas could offer me. if possible, i would like to talk directly to him/her

in response to the trash talkin back and forth about AIM industries, relays...etc. STOP IT i have been a faithful reader of this forum since i joined. I am young, in college, and consider myself a newbie, but i'm not going to put up with this crap. I like this forum because it is normally free of insulting, harsh words, hateful posting, and other things common to crappy forums. I am actually embarassed to be associated with this bull**** right now. Guys...come on...this forum is better than this.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:23 AM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin86
.... in response to the trash talkin back and forth about AIM industries, relays...etc. STOP IT i have been a faithful reader of this forum since i joined. I am young, in college, and consider myself a newbie, but i'm not going to put up with this crap. I like this forum because it is normally free of insulting, harsh words, hateful posting, and other things common to crappy forums. I am actually embarassed to be associated with this bull**** right now. Guys...come on...this forum is better than this.
Well said. It looks like that education is already paying off.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:09 AM   #21
fastbagged68

Call KP Components and get there new bolt on cantilever 4 link and c-notch to lay out. Stay away from AIM. Chassis Tech, Ricky Racer and so on. KP stuff is top notch. Go buy a street truck mag and you will see there ad with a 73-87 orange and cream chev.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged_and_bodydrop
...why would u wanna run a relay .....
To prevent burning things up. You can always add a switch if you want to control when the compressor runs.

In regards to the rest of your post, you need to save that attitude and smack talking for another forum. We DO NOT tolerate that on this forum. You seem to have a decent amount of knowledge, so we appreciate you sharing it. All we ask is you respond to everyone in a respectful manner.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #23
Shev
Head Peon

Smokin ~ I will pm you with contact info for him...he does sales for another forum and I don't think it would be appropriate to post it on this board. As for the trash talking I apologize for my part in it.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM   #24
Smokin86

shev

thanks for both things. i knew there was a reason i liked this forum

Old 12-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #25
bagged_and_bodydrop
Just drag it

sry

I apologize for my part in it I just got caught up (already in a bad mood). Sorry about that, We all have diff veiews on what to do, I just always like to think mine is the best lol sry.