The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Would you give credit to someone you don't know?
Sure WHY NOT? 2 2.35%
ONLY IF THEY HAVE GOOD CREDIBILITY ON THE BOARDS ! 16 18.82%
Nope !!!! NO WAY ! 17 20.00%
I would have to decide by Individual case.... 50 58.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2004, 03:57 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Giving Credit to fellow Board members ?

I had a board member get ahold of me and ask if I would send him an Item and he pay 1/2 now and send the other half to me after he checks it out...

My answer was No.. He's a new member here on the board with just over 50 post, He lives in Florida and I in Nevada, Too dang far to run him down if he wouldn't pay..

With all of the Problems going on, with Dead Beat Buyers/sellers lately, I'm just not up to sending someone my stuff and trusting them.. Well, all but a few that is !!! Piston,( Garret) and Longhornman (Andy) are the exceptions, They both have sent me stuff without waiting for me to pay them,, And Yep, They both got paid.

What is Y'alls outlook on this??? Not that it would change my mind,,,, But just Curious....
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
fine69

It just depends on the individual. How long they have been here. Do they post often? Send them pics. If the pics are not good enough then NO i wouldnt do it.
I have sent stuff to people i have never met. And got paid. Only to people from this board though.
I have also had members here at my place who didnt have money for something they wanted. I made them take the stuff home anyway. Told them to send me the money later. Always been paid.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:22 AM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Depends on the situation I guess,but most likely no.I have been stiffed way too many times,and mostly locally I'm sorry to say.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:37 AM   #4
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I'd wait for a buyer with cash up front. Your an outstanding member here and can be trusted with what you sell here.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Ron, I would have done the same thing. I was burned only once on this board by a member with over 1000 posts!. I would base it on a case by case basis and depending on the value of the part.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

Case by case is my choice. I have never been burned by anyone here, but apparantly there has been many people who have.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I've been on this board for a while and read a lot more than I post, and have not bought or sold anything through board members, but I would be very cautious and consider case by case only. There are a few here whom I trust based on their reputation - all others would need to pay up front - though I doubt anyone here knows me well enough to do that!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
GreyHoundSteve

I havent been here long but i have bought 3 $200+ items from board members and i paypaled them the money in hopes of recieving the items and i have had no problems so far. Unless your sending someone something cod then they are usually trusting you to send them something and putting faith in you to ship them the item as promised so i dont really have a problem doing the same if everything seems legit.

I have over 200+ transactions on ebay and other internet sites and have had very few problems. Unlike the real world the internet relys solely on reputation and if you do someone wrong it can cost you ALOT of business and so i find that most internet based businesses are better than physical ones.

I look at it like this. Walmart has you by the balls. They have terrible employees and imcompatent indiividials running every dept of their store but they know that they are the only place (except the next walmart) that you can get certain things and so you keep returning despite the fact that they cant seem to ever do anything right.

Web based businesses know that the consumer hols all the power and another choice is just a click away so they better service you faster and more efficiatnly than the next guy or they will lose your business.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #9
shortymac83
hmm...

it's case by case. I know quite a few people on here and the other forums that i would do business with, simply because they seem like stand-up people. If myself and others have had good relationships with them, it's a done deal, IMO. If I didn't "know" the person, I wouldn't. Take for instance, on ROP, there are probably 50 people on that board that I know that I would do business with, and probably 10 that I have done business with, to include having tail lights, dashboard panels, a clock, rallye wheel inserts and headlamp bezels all shipped to me at once by a guy in florida. Cost me $75 when all was said and done, but the parts were exactly how he described them, he sent me photos before shipping them, sent me the UPS tracking code. He said to wait to pay until after I recieved them, and if they weren't up to my standards, he'd eat the shipping and junkyard purchase price. Of course I paid him, the parts were great, and I can't ask for more than that.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #10
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Just got to with your gut feeling, and the cost of the item.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #11
HuggerCST

I've got a short list of people here who I would do it for, and they have all been here long enough for me to know what kind of person they are, but I would be leary of anyone that I didn't know, that had the balls to ask that kind of favor. Tell him you'll hold his money order untill after he's had time to "check it out", lol.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

Gotta go by individuals - there's good and bad in every bushel.

I'd only been a member for a very short time when I did business with Harold Shepard. He had pics of my item, we settled on a price. He sent the MO up front, expecting me to ship when it arrived, so he took the first leap of faith. He didn't know I had shipped the item before I received the money. I believe we both came out happy with deal.

Sometimes you just get a feeling you can trust someone, sometimes not.

SSOW
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #13
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift_or_walk
Sometimes you just get a feeling you can trust someone, sometimes not.
That about sums it up. There are alot of people here that I feel I know very well even though we've never met in person. I wouldn't hesitate to ship the item before receiving payment to most people on this board, you just have to go with whatever you feel.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #14
RON WOODGEARD

I have to stand somewhat corrected guys The prospective buyer contacted me P.M. and left this message..

[Quote]Hey,

I do not live in florida, I live in MS. (User name withheld) [Quote]

I haven't posted his user name because I'm not trying to belittle him, This is the first time anyone has ever asked to ship an Item on Approval, ( Credit in my book ) and I wanted some other opinions....

Thanks for the good words Guys, Dtilly thank you very much !!

I see i'm not out in left field with my way of thinking..

With this guys PM to me, He has a sence of humor... that's a good thing !

Now I need to get him Pictures of the Tranny.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #15
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy70C-10
That about sums it up. There are alot of people here that I feel I know very well even though we've never met in person. I wouldn't hesitate to ship the item before receiving payment to most people on this board, you just have to go with whatever you feel.
I'M WITH RANDY ON THIS ONE
P.S. I'VE DEALT WITH & MET RON SEVERAL TIMES, & HE'S A STAND UP GUY
THAT I WOULDN'T HESITATE TO DO ANY TYPE OF BUSINESS WITH. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #16
RON WOODGEARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
I'M WITH RANDY ON THIS ONE
P.S. I'VE DEALT WITH & MET RON SEVERAL TIMES, & HE'S A STAND UP GUY
THAT I WOULDN'T HESITATE TO DO ANY TYPE OF BUSINESS WITH. JOHN
Thanks John

But how many guys would hold the things they sold, in their backyard for a couple of months waiting for me to get off my butt, and get a chance pick them up..

Only you John, Thanks again..

I will be getting ahold of you on the "shaved Doors". Still thawing out...
Old 11-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #17
chevman-67

It's a hard choice to make for some and others not.I've been on here for a short while now and also do more reading than posting and I watch and listen to how well people deal and watch for bad reports I don't disagree with your desisson and let everyone do it the way they choose. If it's NO then it's NO. I would stand by that if you want to take a chance then noone is to blame but you if somthing goes wrong.I have never been stiffed on this board yet and hope I never am .Mind you I would travel across the map to get my money if it was owed to me !!!!ONLY my input and speaking for myself!
gm's are #1

1967 chevrolet short step
1988 chev 4x4 1/2 ton
1989 gmc 1/2 ton
1991 chev 1/2 ton 4x4
1993 Jeep grand cherokee 4x4
And yes a 94 Ford Mustang.
chevman-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:36 PM   #18
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

It'd be a case by case with me too, especially being so new. That being said, Randy 70c-10 has already hooked me up once, and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him, he's a stand up person.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:08 PM   #19
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Its a very tough call. I have sent stuff to members before I got money on a few ocassions, mostly small stuff. I describe stuff to best of my knowledge and price it according. I haven't been burnt yet, knock on wood, 98% of the members on here are GREAT guys!!! But that 2% can burn your a$$!!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #20
Deuce

Buyer beware. Buy from someone other people trust, and a good seller should stand behind the product he/she is selling. It shouldn't be up to the seller to give"credit" to anyone. Dealing with close friends or family being the exception.
Just my opinion.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #21
Putter
More Cowbell....

I have met 3 of the other MS guys and have a very high opinion and respect for them. I know there are a few others in the state that I have not met, but would like to. I agree 100% on the "GO WITH YOUR GUT" stuff. If it just doesn't feel right, just walk away. Although I have never had a bad transaction with a board member to this day, I guess it happens.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #22
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Even with the best intentions, money still talks. Having been burned once or twice, my rule now is to err on the side of caution. I stand behind your decision...think it is too bad that someone's "word" is often not enough, but that's just the way it is. There are some on this board I'd have no hesitation with, but they are the exception... not the rule!

Last edited by sactoC10; 11-30-2004 at 05:00 PM.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #23
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I Have Sold A Few Things Here, And Offered Some Stuff Even For
Free, But I Will Not Ship Until I Receive My Money, Not Trying To
Be A Hard Case But I've Been Burned By Family, Much Less Friends
Or Anyone Else I Have Come To Know, I Trust People I Have Delt
With Or Met On This Board Alot And Would Hope Those Who I've
Done Buisness With Feel The Same About Me, Just My $.02
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #24
moneyguru

Big Auto enthusiast here so I'm on three different boards...this one, a Porsche 914 one and a Audi S car board.

I've done business with alot of people via on these boards a well as ebay, have a rating of 86 with like 97 positive feedback (not all unique) and 2 negative. I've set up and run Group purchases and held thousands of dollars as I waited for product to show, and I have sent out $300 for a group purchase and waited months for product to get here from europe.

Then and now I would take it on a case by case basis. If it was a new member nowhere near me...I'd be a bit leary. Somebody who I have chatted with and felt I knew, I'd trust them.

I've sent out $1100 items with the agreement that the check is in the mail, and I've waited for payment for $100 items. Haven't been burned yet.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:17 PM   #25
gmc67swb

I'm just kinda curious what it costs to send a prostitute from Nevada to Florida."Resident Pimp" I guess it just depends on how much she weighs!