The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
benoit454
Chris

question for anyone who has done a cab change

Ok, here's my story, I have a 76 c10 3 speed on the column, I am trying to get a cab for it. I looked at the 86 k10 we have out front to find the cab mounting bolts, I can see the front 2 easy, one on either side. Where are the back ones? Pics would help greatly. I know the fronts are in the round rubber w/ a round pedistal that comes off the frame, I assumed the backs were too but not on the k10. I am not able (at this time) to get under the c10 and look due to it being at my grandma's and not here. So if someone has some pics showing me where they are I'd be grateful to you. I would also like to know any tips or tricks you have used to make taking one off easier, like removing the bolts or just cutting thru them and the rubber mounts to use new mounts.
Anything I could use and would be helpful to removing one. More then likely I will have to remove the one I get for the 76 off a frame too. So I'l have 2 cabs to remove and put the donor cab on the 76 frame.

My next question would be how many guys did it take to raise the cab off the frame and put the other back on?
My dad claims them to be no heavier then a complete bed, I think they would be heavier, we have removed a bed from an s-10 before a 92 using ratchet straps to lift the front allowing us to slide in landscape timbers, which then allowed us to lift each side seperately by grabbing the 2 timbers, raising one side and sliding a saw horse under the timbers, then doing the same on the other side. So how heavy are they? Two average man job? or more average men needed? By average I mean 2 guys about 5,9 to 5,10 around 175-180lbs. I think I'll need more then me and my buddy what do yall think?
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

If this is posted in the wrong place plz move it to where it should be thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

On my 80 the two rear cab mounts are easily accessable at the back of the cab, if you need pictures, I can grab a pair after school.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
gn4u2c
Account Suspended

they are by the frame rails easy to spot with no bed.
gn4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
benoit454
Chris

Oh ok yea see the 86 has a bed on it and so does the 76 so it be easier to get to if I take off my 76 bed right?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Russell
Professional Grade

Yeah, by far easier if you pull the bed off first. You can still get the bolts quite easily, but it'd be easier to pull the cab off if you jack the cab up off the frame, then push the frame out from underneith it (push it forwards, then you don't need to remove the front clip). Have the other cab jacked up the same way, and push the chassis under that cab afterwards and put it down again. Much easier than getting 4 guys to come over and lift it up, or risk bending stuff trying to lift it up with some mechanical device from the overhead.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
Majician

The rear mounts are inside the framerails at the very back of the cab. In my pic the blue arrows are pointing to my body lift, you won't have them on you trucks (unless somebody installed a body lift). On some 2wd models the mounts go on a crossmember instead of the "perches" like mine has. I change my cabs by myself using an electric overhead hoist by wrapping a strap through the cab at the area where the winsheild meets the roof. Just don't forget to unhook everything - electrical, wires in the engine compartment mounted to the firewall, steering, brake lines, e-brake cable, engine-to-body ground strap, gas pedal cable, clutch linkage, a/c lines, heater hoses, etc... Also check to see that there aren't any wires or cables held by clamps that are screwed to the underside of the floor.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
benoit454
Chris

Thanks for all the info everyone.
That's why I couldn't see them on the 86 they are inside, I was thinking so.
Well my front clip will come off anyways cuz its all junk, nothing but gallons of bondo and some tin I think. Only decent would be the core support I think, the hood might be salvaged too. The other truck I looked at (cab I'm trying to get) has a smashed up newer front end on it. So that have to come off cuz I aint taking it and there's no bed on it anyways. My bed is bad on botom, the cross sills and such I wished I could find a new one lol. No one near me has any though as of yet.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
rolson1039

ive done the swap its pretty easy it took four guys to do the cab you could prolly get away with three but it helps to have the bed off if you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask... hey i got a great cab with a whole truck up for grabs if youre close!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:17 PM   #10
benoit454
Chris

I wished I was I'm in wv and got no ways of geting it.