The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
DCRANER

Fuel Cell Fittment

BigBlock73 directed me to an installation of a fuel cell, but I have a few questions since that just shows the fuel cell in an open frame.

On my 86 GMC I see where the Summit 25x17x9 16 gallon fuel cell would fit very well in place of the spare tire area. I assume the 25" would be between the frame rails and the 17" between the rearend housing and the bumper area, with the an fittings facing forward. Now, is there a fitting which allows me to run a fuel fill tube from top of the fuel cell to my stock gas neck tube, my normal gas flap door for a gas station fillup?

Maybe this is a silly question, but I do not see in Summit a fitting to allow a fill hose to connect to the fuel cell tank, and I am sure many here have already done something like this, the finished product so-to-speak.

Thanks.
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

First off, you want your AN fitting facing the rear, this will prevent fuel starvation under acceleration. As far as a tube running from the top of the cell to your gas door, that will have to be fabricated, and I am not sure there is enough room between the top of the cell and the bottom of the bed floor. Jegs and Summit both sell fuel cell extensions in both straight and angled versions...perhaps you could get one of those and modify it to work with what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps some, hopefully Tim will chime in with answers since his is finished while mine isn't quite yet.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
DCRANER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
First off, you want your AN fitting facing the rear, this will prevent fuel starvation under acceleration. As far as a tube running from the top of the cell to your gas door, that will have to be fabricated, and I am not sure there is enough room between the top of the cell and the bottom of the bed floor. Jegs and Summit both sell fuel cell extensions in both straight and angled versions...perhaps you could get one of those and modify it to work with what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps some, hopefully Tim will chime in with answers since his is finished while mine isn't quite yet.
Thanks, good point about the an fitting facing rear. I can see on my truck if I placed the fuel cell against the steel cross bracing that the spare tire sat against I would be about 3 inches below the bed, so I think I am close to getting this to work. I want to have it as if the factory did this.

Not to change the subject, but the sticker in my glove box indicates an option called "Gold Medal Edition", any idea what that option was since I cannot see anything special about my truck.

Thanks.
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote