The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #1
notmycity

Milky oil on the dipstick. Head gasket?

Once upon a time I had milky oil on the dipstick in another engine. My original 292 six now has this problem. It still runs strong, and doesn't smoke.

Thoughts please? Thanks...
Old 12-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
sdmahr

Do a cooling system pressure check. This will tell you if you have a coolant to leak. Often times in colder weather I'll get a little "milky" appearance on the dipstick or oil filler cap. It may just be cool-weather condensation.

Don't panic yet.....
sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
notmycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmahr
Do a cooling system pressure check. This will tell you if you have a coolant to leak. Often times in colder weather I'll get a little "milky" appearance on the dipstick or oil filler cap. It may just be cool-weather condensation.

Don't panic yet.....
I did consider the "cooler weather theory", also that someone may have slipped my truck a "mickey" when I wasn't looking one night. We'll do the pressure test and thanks for responding.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Bowtiefreak

I would be willing t bet that its your oil weight. Heavier or thicker oils can not rid of the moisture as easily. Like a 30W vs. a 10w 30, that 30w will retain the moisture a whole lot longer vs 10w 30 for example. This is because of the colder weather that your motor is now exposed to. I have seen this alot. This may not be your case for sure, but I think its your oil.
Bowtiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #5
notmycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiefreak
I would be willing t bet that its your oil weight. Heavier or thicker oils can not rid of the moisture as easily. Like a 30W vs. a 10w 30, that 30w will retain the moisture a whole lot longer vs 10w 30 for example. This is because of the colder weather that your motor is now exposed to. I have seen this alot. This may not be your case for sure, but I think its your oil.
Interesting....

I just switched to 20/50 weight not long ago to quiet some of the tappity tap that's so common with these 292's. I used to go with a lighter weight in cold weather and that just may be the issue. It's all coming back to me now, as I haven't been a motorhead for too many years. I'll check that first. Thanks for the reply....
Old 12-02-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
Bowtiefreak

20/50, yea I bet thats the problem. I'd run 10w/30 or 10w/40 myself.

Bowtiefreak
Bowtiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
notmycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiefreak
20/50, yea I bet thats the problem. I'd run 10w/30 or 10w/40 myself.

Bowtiefreak
Yeah, I figured I'd throw some 10w/30 in for a few hundred miles to clean up the leftover condensation, then hit it with a fresh batch of 10w/40 "high-miles" oil......(provided that the 50 wieght oil is the problem, but again, there have been no other signs of head gasket problems....runs smooth, strong with no tell-tale white smoke usually present during a head gasket problem.

Thanks...
Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
Don R. Dodson

Your engine is not breathing like it should. I had the same problem and took my wife's car to my MOPAR mechanic, and he replaced the PCV valve and the oil breather cap and got the thing breathing again and the problem went away. Keep the moisture inside the oil area and you will get the milky look on your dipstick.

~ Don ~
Old 12-02-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
cableguy0

i agree with don check your pcv. also pull the valvecover that will tell the story if it is caused by condensation there will be white colored sludge on the underside of the valve cover
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 PM   #10
notmycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don R. Dodson
Your engine is not breathing like it should. I had the same problem and took my wife's car to my MOPAR mechanic, and he replaced the PCV valve and the oil breather cap and got the thing breathing again and the problem went away. Keep the moisture inside the oil area and you will get the milky look on your dipstick.

~ Don ~
Well.....

I replaced the PCV a few thousand miles ago, but I suppose it's possible I bought a bad valve. I'll throw another one in when I change over to lighter oil....just to be sure.

Thanks....
Old 12-03-2004, 01:12 AM   #11
Hooter
My other Love

also check if you crankcase filter is plugged, (slim chance though)

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:46 AM   #12
Don R. Dodson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter
also check if you crankcase filter is plugged, (slim chance though)
Yes, that too. Anything in the breahting part of the crankcase area should be checked. I think that crankcase fliter was the main clog in the wife's 83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #13
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Have you been losing any coolant? If not, it is probably a condensation issue. I agree, check the pcv system. What happens is when the engine cools off, the moisture collects on the inside metal surfaces. Another cause for this is short trip driving. The engine needs to get hot enough to boil the water out of the oil, it then depends on the pcv system to suck the worst of the moisture out.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote