The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2002, 12:32 PM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Post dont you hate it when you know you are a dumass

lol. I have a Honda civic as a daily driver. great little car. IM rather good about doing the maintenance on things so when the mileage rolled over I knew it was time to do some things. like adjust the valves. Figured no big deal, I have done this to several kinds of cars.

So I get to the point where the valve cover needs to come off. The book says, dont pry on it. tap it with a soft hammer.. so tap tap tap..... hum.. tap tap tap... tap tap bang bang .. hum.. bang bang bang! you all know the routine lol.. anyway.. nothing, wouldn't come off..

So I look for place to pry. Thinking OK stuid be stupid (knowing my past history of award winning dum acts) so IM really careful. nothing. Dam thing wont come off.

So I look again for something I missed.. Checked the book.. I had everything.. so I look for a better place to pry as not to mar the metal causing a leak. I did find a nice little lip..

so i got my pry bar and have it a tug, now what always happens when you pry on something.. dam thing slips off.. anyway. i prayed... it did.. and the other end hit my plastic radiator. that nice felling you all know (hopefully not as well as i do) came over me. sure enough, i saw the oozing of coolant, that liquid trophy of stupidity, instantly awarded to all mechanics at one time or anther.

Ever see them little things? Tiny, plastic and $130 bucks at all the places around town. I did find one for 110 on line, will be here tomorrow..

The kicker I guess is the valves still are not adjusted. Wish I was more lazy and would adopt the attitude of most my friends.. if it aint broke, dont fix it..

just thought i would share...IM just glad i can laugh at myself, cuz IM pretty dam funny....but looks are not everything.lol
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
72LNGHRN

Don't worry dude there's a little dum ass in all of us. Some are just worse than others.LOL

------------------
72LONGHORN 350 CI TURBO 400 A/C P/S P/B HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES.
TUCSON,AZ.
2001 DODGE RAM WIFES TRUCK
1961 OLDS DYNAMIC 88
394 2BBL UNDER CONST.

72LNGHRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:37 PM   #3
ebfabman

ah...nothin like that has ever happened to me.....YEAH RIGHT......LOL
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:40 PM   #4
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Well I'm glad you are able to see the humor in yourself instead of getting angry and inflicting more damage on the offending part.... not so sure I would have stayed so calm.... Two thumbs up to you!! WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com

------------------
Click (Here) to visit our on-line catolog.
E-mail me WEHEPP@attbi.com
72 BB Chevy Blazer
72 BB Chevy Short Fleet
72 SB 3/4 Ton 4X4
72 SB 1/2 Ton SWB 4X4
70 BB Chevy Short Step
70 SB Chevy Short Fleet
69 SB Chevy Short Step
68 SB Chevy Short Step
68 BB GMC Long Fleet
"Founder" Classic Heartbeat Pickup Club
Olympia, Washington's "Home For Wayword Chevys"
www.ClassicHeartbeat.com

Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:05 PM   #5
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Wink

You are definitly not a dumbass. True dumbasses don't know they're a dumbass!

------------------
"KEEP IT DOWN!"
70 Jimmy 454 2wd
56 GMC Big Window

"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #6
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I agree, as far as dumbasses go, you are a smart one!

------------------
1971 C-10 Suburban
1972 C-10 Suburban
1969 XL Galaxie Fastback
1968 Galaxie 500 Fastback
1974 SCOUT II

Montrose, Minnesota

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:35 PM   #7
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

lol !!! well i wont even try and get into all the retarded things i have done in the past, all of us have dumbass inside of us somewhere, as aforementioned, and Wes has a damned good point about not getting stupid and pissed about it, it done happened now and all you can do is just repair what happened. oh and adjusting valves on those is not the same as on our engines, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy designed differently, but good luck, I owuldnt even attempt adjusting them myself, i dont know if thats aying something or not, if its running good then i would leave well alone, IMO

have fun and good luck!

------------------
-71/C-10(thx teeitup and crews!)350-4 bolt-4bbl, CH465(thx 71Chev and GMCPaul)longfleetbed now(thnx meathead95)!still building it-
-'84/Z28/C'Maro/HO5.0L 700R4- streetstrip shiftkit,3.42(?)alum brk drums/7.5" r/axle, grnd efx, airdam, 15" 5star mags/T-tops/lotsa fun!
-79 G20 pass van, 350/th350/10bolt, its a ruster/dailydriver/parts hauler/retriever/deliverer/tool-torch-jacks hauler
*paint is overrated
Randy- Lincoln, ILrandy@ccaonline.com © RSS Enterprises 2000

Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
ebfabman

hey mtdave2, you probably already know this, but one thing I would recommend for that honda is replacing the timing belt. not to bad a job. pretty easy if you follow a good manual.....
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
Southpa

You hit a nerve there Dave and just reminded me of a long list of stupid things I have been capable of. Like when I was "reshoeing" the old hoss. I pulled one rear brake assembly apart and replaced the wheel cylinder. For the life of me I couldn't remember how all the springs went back together when I was done. So I pulled the drum off the other side to copy the spring setup. Great, got it all back together, jumped in and started pumping the brake pedal to bleed. Then I hear SPLAT!, uh oh, forgot to put the drum back on the other side! I had to rebuild that wheel cylinder too.

------------------
Southpa
1970 GMC 1500 Custom
Victoria, BC, Canada

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:19 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
trophy of stupidity, instantly awarded to all mechanics
I would have a full trophy case if that was so.
Adjusting the valvs is easy on hondas...just double check with the feeler guage when you tighten the 10mm lock nut down. You'll probably feel the differance after you finaly get it.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
Need to pick up the one ton Longhorn with a PONTIAC 350/350soon.
Thanks every one!
Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:51 PM   #11
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Angry

I'm with Wes here, I probably would have pulverized it into little plastic shards!! Then after that, I would have cursed myself for being so stupid!

OT: I did that with a bird house I was trying to put up. I was very carefully trying to nail it to a post, but something went wrong. The bird house kept popping a few panels, and I knew I should have stopped and took a breather, but no, I went a pulverized the birdhouse with the hammer!

------------------
1970 GMC 1500, 350ci, 3 in a tree

http://members.tripod.com/~Jungleman_2/1970GMC.html

Vancouver, B.C.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:05 PM   #12
Benrs86

i do things like that all the time and so does my dad but he just gets mad at everything. it is really cool when you can stay calm and keep trying.
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:55 PM   #13
71GMCstreet

Did you ever get the valve cover off???
71GMCstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:10 PM   #14
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

what a day huh.. i never did get the valve cover off. not sure what the trick is. as far as the timing belt i think i was done 60k miles ago.. is it due? ill have to look at the book.

probably a good idea to wait for a while i seem to be in a run of bad luck with mechanical things..

im glad to hear you all have done dum stuff too, at least this one wasnt because i was being realy stupid, like the time i wanted to stoak the camp fire with a gas. lol. cought the whole can on fire, pitched it in the river. had a floating carpet of flame heading down the river... geez, that one was dumb lol

oh ya, i must admit i did have the urge to start smashing things, and if i was back home in motana, chances are i would have set the radiator up in the field and got the glock 10 mm.. lol but beeing unemploied and really scraping by, i had to becareful. cant afford much more "mantainence" hehe

[This message has been edited by mtdave2 (edited March 13, 2002).]
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:12 PM   #15
COBALT

Talk about DUMB ASS. This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever been involved with (I wasn't directly responsible ).

My dad, a local contractor, and myself were doing an addition on a 1973 split-level house. We had order 96" studs from the lumber yard to build the walls, and had already sheared off the gable sophet to "marry" the new walls to the existing structure. Before we were going to finish the top plate on the walls someone (sadly, not me) noticed that the walls were too high for the existing walls of the house. They were above the roof line! Turns out the house had been built with 92" studs! The trusses were supposed to show up the next day, and we had to work through the night shortening the walls using a jig and a skill saw. That was STUPID.

------------------
'69 3/4 ton C20 2wd w/ 350ci/400THM and a wood bed!
'69 3/4 ton Custom 20 2wd w/ ORIGINAL 350ci/4sp Manual and a wood bed (parts beast).
Seattle, WA.

*See pics of my trucks and project at www.webshots.com!
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:16 PM   #16
busterwivell

WELCOME TO MY WORLD, Y'ALL
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:25 PM   #17
71GMCstreet

Talking

Well, at least no one has admitted to mistaking the bathroom freshener for deodorant......like......me......
71GMCstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:27 PM   #18
Burlinator
Just Another Crazy Canuck

if you want to adjust the valves just pull the plugs and stick finger in and turn them LMAO sorry coudn't resist
I had trouble with the valve cover on my honda too I just wailed on it with a 2x4 and BFH on the front drivers side corner
the only good time to mess things up is when when you got a nice big CAT loader to "help the cover off" or the roof or doors........ ahhhhhh the days of the scrapyard did have thier fun moments!!

PS anybody ever play Need for Speed 4 Hot Pursuit all the scraping and crashing sounds were made with thta same CAT heheheh that was an extremely fun day you havn't lived til you see a volvo fall 30 feet onto a pickup with a bed full of glass LMAO

------------------
My CANADA includes BEAVER!!!!!!!
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NwAzABASh!uohRSfISjhQyAQFlB*NewhOUaHR6bv*u3evbZdsgR9IvkX4X4GCQKh*KzIWBO9**DLq1ZpIJppCQ/Chevy_anim(1).gif[/img] 71 Custom/10 lb fleet .040 over 350/

burlinator2000@hotmail.com
Richmond,B.C.

[This message has been edited by Burlinator (edited March 13, 2002).]
Old 03-13-2002, 09:03 PM   #19
dave's70

My father used spray deodorant as hair spray for over a week before complaing to my mother that it did'nt work for him.
Let's just say doing stupid things is heriditary.

------------------
70 C-10 350 with weind intake,eldelbrock carb,HEI,305 heads,and a mild cam

dave's70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:30 PM   #20
CoryM

Ah yes the lovely feeling you get watching that little stream of coolant come out when your prybar snaps and hits the radiator core. That one cost me $200. Also if you work a newer honda, 97+ i think there is a air intake that is bolted on top of the radiator, its the first place your hand rests when looking for something to lean on..... DO NOT LEAN ON IT!!!!! You will snap the top of the radiator. Seen that a few times now (not me thankfully).
Have fun and try not to be too silly.
CoryM

------------------
1970 heavy duty C-10 fleetside sport truck. Vancouver B.C. Canada
http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #21
Longhorn

Dave, Dave, Dave, Just when I was thinking you had it all together!!! and were perfect like all us here on the board. Sorry buddy.

------------------
Bill

Rapid City, SD

67 short stepside, in weeds 6Cyl
69 Longhorn CST 396 nice original

Rapid City, SD

67 short stepside, in weeds 6Cyl
69 Longhorn CST 396 nice original

Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 04:45 PM   #22
Desert Rat

Heres one a dumb one from me and my stepdad,i broke a 2bbl carb stud on a 61 Impala,we tried everything to get it out heat it up,special tools,well final conclusion was drill it,OH will just stuff the intake with rags,then use the shop vac,keep in mind these bolt holes go into the intake and done have a stoping point they go straight threw,well once done thread replace got all shavings out with shop vac,and on the rags,put on the fresh rebuilt carb,started it up and it knocked like a son of a gun.ran good last time,well pulled the heads and got a piece of metal on top of the piston and it wedged it flattened itself to the top of the piston,i scraped it off,got the motor back together-no more knock-ran sweat,moral of this story is dont always do it the easy was-shoulda just pulled the intake and done it,but no ended up pulling intake anyway,distributor,heads,and all the other bs,but a upper gasket set,put it all back together,and adjust everything.OH i learned from that one,

Or how bout the time when i had some buddies over at my moms when mom and stepdad were vacationing and we were a bit smashed and had some funny stuff we all got the munchies,my mom left me everything to make tacos,and when seasoning the meat the container was one of those big costco ones,and what i thought was the taco seasoning,well was the cinnamon it was in the same style container,and it looked like taco seasoning-hey i was drunk!!!.I cooked it up,made are tacos.First bite we all looked at each other like WTF???they tasted BAD we went over and saw what i did,we all still ate them though,words of advise dont smoke funny stuff and drink especially when cooking,and you have the munchies.Ill never forget that one!!!
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 04:48 PM   #23
Desert Rat

OH thought of another incident on a road trip with my stepday,my stomach started to churn,and i HAD to hit the next rest stop,barely made it in,well needless to say-there wasnt any tp,it wasnt pleasent smelling people were commenting,laughing(damn something die in here?)and here i had to say,HELP can someone hand me some toilet paper-well no one did,finally my stepdad came in must of been 10 minutes asked if i was ok,i said can you please hand me some toilet paper-He never left that alone the whole trip!!!
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 07:29 PM   #24
JIMs70GMC
user # 2756

Just had to add to this after what I did today. I was cutting down a tree for my neighbor to get some extra money, and cut a limb that swung the wrong direction and taped the power lines. Knocked power out to my whole street. Luckily it only took the power guy 5 minutes to replace the fuse. I felt like a magor dumba$$ after that. Oh well no damage to anything but my ego.....

------------------
1970 GMC K25 Custom
Chesapeake, VA
My 70 GMCor Webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/70gmc

1986 M1031 6.2 diesel, TH400/NP205 locker in the rear and a LS in the front, all stock for now.....
1986 K30, 350/400/205 dana 60 and 14 bolt. I kept the drivetrain. Body/bad and chassis are gone.
1981 K30, 350/465/205 dana 60 and dually 14 bolt. Has a G80, and a flat bed. Going to replace the flat bed.

1985 K20, 350/400/208 10 bolt and SF 14 bolt. I wonder where I can find some 1 tons. Hmmmmm
JIMs70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:29 PM   #25
Cheyenne Super

I work on hondas for a living. Normally what i do is use a small screw driver tapped between the cover and head being carefull not to scrape the head. Usually that will bust loose a tough valve cover. When replacing the gasket apply a little silicone on either side of the cam jounals on each end of the head this will help eliminate leaks. I know this is kinda obvious, but sometimes it helps to hear it from some one else.
Cheyenne Super is offline   Reply With Quote