The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
TIMSPEED

New Suspension Direction Idea: Stupid or Smart?

Since I can never be happy with how low my truck is, I've decided to put the ART Cool Ride in the front of my truck. However, the guy who's painting my truck, is also a fabricator, so he said he could make me the brackets and get me the bags, all for $150. So, I'm going to have those in the front, with shraeder valves, so I can set the truck exactly where I want it, and go have it aligned. For the rear, I'm just going to add a 2" shackle, and C-Notch the frame, and be done with that.
Does anyone think this is a stupid idea?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
C-10volvo

sounds like a smart idea. but just to be safe, buy a a tank and compressor that is large enough to do the rear also. just incase you want to add it later.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
7T2

When I got my coolride kit for my '62 belair I was amazed at how simple it was for the price. I think on the truck I'll either make the brackets myself or have someone make them for me.

When you figure that you can get a decent set of air bags for $150.00 or so and a set of shocks for say $50.00, that means the brackets in my kit cost $300.00! I like the guys at ART, and I know they have a business to run and all, but the reality is that there is about $50.00 in metal in the bracketry, tops.
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Purchase the upper and lower brackets from www.*****************, TIMSPEED. At $60(?), you can't go wrong w/ these lazer cut items.

BTW, you won't be happy w/ only having schrader valves and a static drop out back. Save your money and go all out. Do it once, do it right.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #5
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedC10
BTW, you won't be happy w/ only having schrader valves and a static drop out back. Save your money and go all out. Do it once, do it right.
Yeah, but if I do the bags in the front, then LATER, if i DO decide to do bags in the rear, I add the 4-link, buy a tank/compressor and be set.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
Prerunner1982

Tim, if you go with the shrader valves, run them up and within easy reach but still fairly hidden... like your grille or up under the hood and mounted to your inner fenders..
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
bagged_and_bodydrop
Just drag it

valves

Id run smc valves, fast, and affordable, and the best one of the best brands on the market, suicide doors always has them in stock. You can make brackets, but for the time it takes you can order them lazer cut from suicide doors, and there great brackets, Id run firestone or conitech air bags, 6 gallone 8 port tank, viar 450 compressor, and run the comprssor off a switch but buy a preasure switch so it wont void your warrenty.
Attached Images

bagged_and_bodydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #8
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged_and_bodydrop
Id run smc valves, fast, and affordable, and the best one of the best brands on the market, suicide doors always has them in stock. You can make brackets, but for the time it takes you can order them lazer cut from suicide doors, and there great brackets, Id run firestone or conitech air bags, 6 gallone 8 port tank, viar 450 compressor, and run the comprssor off a switch but buy a preasure switch so it wont void your warrenty.
I'm not going to completely bag my truck right now. I'm just going to bag the FRONT, with NO on-board controls. I'm just going to use my home air compressor to fill them. I'm not doing them to show-off, just for more adjustability and ride comfort.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 PM   #9
The Dude

sounds like a good idea to me. you get what you want for now and later you can upgrade pretty easily. the only problem i could see is what if the bags lose air or something, with no on board compressor how will you fill them up to continue driving? or will the truck be setup so that it is still drivable with no air in the bags?
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude
sounds like a good idea to me. you get what you want for now and later you can upgrade pretty easily. the only problem i could see is what if the bags lose air or something, with no on board compressor how will you fill them up to continue driving? or will the truck be setup so that it is still drivable with no air in the bags?
Bumpstops will be set so that if the bag is TOTALLY deflated, it's STILL driveable.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:23 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
Bumpstops will be set so that if the bag is TOTALLY deflated, it's STILL driveable.
If it's totally deflated it will roll, but not really be "driveable" at anything more than an idle....trust me on this one.

Tim I think your setting yourself up to be dissappointed. Without the ability to adjust your pressure on the fly, you aren't going to appreciate the benefits of air springs.

If you can't afford the entire system, buy it piece at a time till you have everything to do it right.....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:08 AM   #12
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
If it's totally deflated it will roll, but not really be "driveable" at anything more than an idle....trust me on this one.

Tim I think your setting yourself up to be dissappointed. Without the ability to adjust your pressure on the fly, you aren't going to appreciate the benefits of air springs.

If you can't afford the entire system, buy it piece at a time till you have everything to do it right.....

I agree 100%.

Like a cheese burger w/o cheese, it just isn't the same.