The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
TugOwar

Do you fully tighten battery cables?

I know this is gonna sound really screwed up to some of you guys but please bear with me for a minute.

I've driven old chevy trucks for most of driving life. A 66 1/2 ton in particular that I drove for 12+ years.
Over the years I've had the occassional wiring problem. Once, on that 66, a main wire that runs from under the hood into the cab (don't remember which wire it was) shorted and burned completly from end to the other. Because it was encased inside the harness it took several other wires out with it. Needless to say I spent many head scratching days tracking down and rewiring the damn thing.

After that I got in the habit of leaving the positive battery cable a little loose on the battery. Snug but loose enough that I could pull it off quickly without the need for a wrench in case of a short.

This morning I get up, sh!t, shower & shave, and get dressed to go job hunting. Jump in the truck and hit starter and &%$#@!, dead battery. Apparently the positive cable had gotten looser and dirty and didn't have enough contact to keep the battery charged. DOH!

So I guess I'm looking for your thoughts on the matter. Is it stupid of me not to completely tighten the battery cables?
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I would not say it is stupid of you. I can see how you would be nervous. I would say you are apprehendsive or a little paranoid. Just tighten your cable and try not to think about it. Maybe do a routine maintenance to ease your mind.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
71swb4x4

They do have quick disconnect cables, they have a large knob at the top, a quick turn and you can pull it right off.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

I leave mine loose too, for the same reason. I am constantly doing electrical work on my truck, and want to be able to pull off the battery cable easily when I am working with stuff. I've occasionally had my pole come loose, but typically I notice an increase of voltage on my volt gauge when that happens, along with a serious loss of voltage at an idle as the alternator doesn't charge as well. You can also tell if you go to start the truck and loose all power upon hitting the starter. Just adjust the cable a bit to get a better connection and it is fine after that.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
71swb4x4

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...ery+disconnect
Here is one, $14 at Summit.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
1-PU70

You could use something like this -

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...g1432&x=12&y=8

Then you could have a tight cable and sleep at night. Good luck
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Here is another type a little cheaper and you can take the wheel to deter theft.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ITCH%2CBATTERY

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
TugOwar

Russell what you say makes perfect sense. I just gotta get my volt meter working, haven't had time to check it out yet.

I like the battery disconnect idea, I like it alot! This could also be sort of a theft deterant as well. Lets say I mount the disconnect in the cab for easy access, wouldn't I have to use a larger gauge cable because of the increased length? If so how much larger?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
68LSS1

Wire chart/gauge sizing
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM   #10
68CST327

Huh, I was just thinking about this too. I do the same thing. The negative cable is snug, but still loose enough to twist off, because I got tired of using a wrench on it everytime I wanted to work on the truck.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
cableguy0

not a particularly good idea. good place for corrosion to start not to mention the cable welding itself to the post if it happens to move and arc
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #12
cableguy0

as long as your wiring is done right and isnt crap theres nothing to worry about. how often do you hear of car fires form wiring? normally if there is a problem its owner induced adding stuff or hacking the wiring. im not saying that was the case on your end because old wiring does self destruct but replacing that is just as important as fixing your brakes
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
shortymac83
hmm...

I have the negative cable loose, because the system has a slow leak so I disconnect it if I'm going to be somewhere for more than an hour. Not the greatest system, but I don't want to fix the leak because that'll just be more time wasted on something I didn't need to do, because it's getting torn down to the frame next winter.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #14
cableguy0

yea but most times shorts are simple and cheap to fix. just put a volt meter between the battery cable and the battery you will see voltage being drawn pull fuses one at a time untill the draw goes away now you know where your short or draw is coming from
Old 12-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #15
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I worked on airplanes for years. There is no room for sketchy wiring on them. Shorts and unfused wiring have no place on any airplane.

Tugowar, if that wire would have had a fusible link in it in the first place, it wouldn't have burnt the harness.

I go over every inch of my wiring to make sure there's nothing about to short out. That along with proper looming, correctly sized fuses, and fusible links will keep you plenty safe.

Then, you can tighten your cable and sleep at night.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #16
TugOwar

Thanks all for the input.

The 66 that had the wire short was my baby for so many years. I neglected her and put her through hell and she always came back for more.

I've had my 68 for 3-4 months now and I promised her I wouldn't neglect her. When I got her the wiring was a major CF. After I got her running the wiring was the first order of business. I've cleaned up and rewrapped everything under the hood and most everything under the dash. Lengthened and rewrapped the starter wires (I like my starter wires to reach the ground) and routed them away from the headers.

There were so many wires that started no where and went no where.
One large wire (10ga?) in the engine bay had a fusable link in it. It started up on top of the fire wall and ened just laying on the passenger side fender well. No idea where it was suppose to start or end so I removed it.

I've cleaned up the wiring at the back of the truck where it was hacked up for a trailer plug, and traced everything back to the front to make sure it cleared exhaust and what not. Frankly everything from the firewall to the back of the truck needs to be replaced, it's all so dry and brittle.

I've still got a few wires under the dash that have no apparent use but overall I'm pretty confident in the wiring on this truck.

TX what does the term "looming" refer to please?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugOwar

TX what does the term "looming" refer to please?
Encasing wiring in some sort of protective loom. Some guys use the plastic split loom. Myself, I like cotton sleeve like antique cars used.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #18
kingsolver72
10/30/19

To be in good form is one definition of Looming
Old 12-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #19
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I'm too slow.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #20
TugOwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Encasing wiring in some sort of protective loom. Some guys use the plastic split loom. Myself, I like cotton sleeve like antique cars used.
Ahh I gotya, thanks very much.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I always have my batterys tight...see too many damaged batterys and or charging systems from bad connections.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:51 PM   #22
imdarren

You are not crazy! I have seen more than one car on the side of the road burning clear down to the ground due to electrical shorts.
People think of carying a fire extinguisher, but why not also carry a good large set of wire cutters in the glove box. I do.
I would much rather buy a new batt cable than a new truck.

Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:42 PM   #23
68LSS1

If people are really worried about it, you could install fuses or fusible links off the battery, alternator or starter solenoid. Basically so that power to the fuse block is also protected. That would protect the battery and the vehicle wiring. It would be hard to have a electrical fire after doing that due to a short.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:52 PM   #24
mr402

I use one of those rotary battery disconnects on my Mercury. My main purpose was to easily disconnect the battery when it's going to sit for a few weeks so the battery won't drain down. I do find that I will have to occasionally tighten it because the car won't start. No problems with charging the battery though. I've had it on there for 6 or 7 years. I've seen them go for about $5.00 at the swap meets. Never thougth about the quick disconnect feature but then I've never had a vehicle burn down on me either.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:35 AM   #25
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I have only had one really bad short,and it was in the steering column,and happened while I was driving it,so by the time I got pulled over,the damage was already done.I figure if you're in the truck,and a short happens,by the time you get the hood up,and the cable undone,the wiring is toast,and your fingers are welldone.The only time I really worry about frying something is when I'm working on the truck,which I hope isn't too often.Other than then I tighten the cables down.I hate to get in to a dead battery,or have it go "CLICK" in a dark parking lot in the rain.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote