The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
jbw0127

Aluminum Rad & electric fans

Getting close to putting drivetrain back in and am tying to figure on cooling this mini blown 383 with AC in a environment that sees 100 deg days on a regular basis during the summer.

Jegs and Summit has their own name brand aluminum rads for about $180 that are probably manufactured by a well known rad company for them. Anyone had any bad experience with one of these or just aluminum rads in general?

Also want to go with an electric fan setup that will do the job as well. I know there is numerous aftermarket setups and one with two fans and a shroud for well over $300. Just wondering if anyone has used any of the variety of wrecking yard setups with success. Camaro LS1 fans, Taurus dual speed fan or..........

Want to keep this thing as cool as possible for as little $$$$ as possible! I'm also just anal enough to want this thing to look as good as possible as well...........yeah, I want my cake and eat it too!!!
jbw0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I run a flex-a-lite set up. Sorry, no suggestions on a good o.e. swap. Would love to see your truck though. Where are ya?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
68LSS1

A lot of the Pro-touring guys are running the late model Licoln Mark VII fans ('98 or '99 and up). Nothing else can touch them (aftermarket included). I plan on using one as well. Use a good quality relay or a controller. Right now there's a GP going on on Pro-touring.com on the controllers. See them here. Here's a link that has some info for getting a fan off the PT board here.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

yeah, I want my cake and eat it too!!!

Just curious are there people who want their cake but don't want to eat it?

Looks like i'll have to start looking at the F#@d section of the local pick-n-pull yards for a fan setup. Good luck finding your parts...........Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #5
dmec

i am running an aluminum radiator i got from speedway motors. $150. also using camaro electric fan. dual fans. have a/c. 160 deg stat. runs 180 deg on freeway in socal hot summer and fan not running. a/c on. the radiator has two rows of 1 inch tubes. claims to cool like a five row radiator. i believe it.
dmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:49 AM   #6
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

i got the summit rad. it fits good with some custom brackets. i made my own fan shroud and a 16'' electric fan, runs a little warm aon the hot days, going to switch to a dual set up. i heard some one running nissan maxima dual fans, dont remember who is was

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #7
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68LSS1
A lot of the Pro-touring guys are running the late model Licoln Mark VII fans ('98 or '99 and up). Nothing else can touch them (aftermarket included). I plan on using one as well. Use a good quality relay or a controller. Right now there's a GP going on on Pro-touring.com on the controllers. See them here. Here's a link that has some info for getting a fan off the PT board here.
What are the dimensions of that fan?
I'm looking at a pic of it now and I'm just wondering how big it is, and how hard it is to hook it up to our radiator.
Todd
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
68LSS1

Link to fan and shroud size.