The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
sam's 72

Truck will not crank over!....HELP ME!!

My son has a 98 chevy truck. ( I wanted to post here due to getting more hits ) The other night it would not start. Cranked over like a dead battery. So he put a new starter on it. ( Bought from chevy dealer ship ) still would not crank over.( Sounds like a dead battery, just barely rolls over ) The battery is a side mounted post, I checked it out and it looked bad to me. Where the cables hooked up, you could not get the positive side tight. So I went down bought a top mounted battery, and put it in with all new clamps. The battery is showing 13.8 volts. Still the same thing. When you hit the key, it turns over like a dead battery, just barely rolls over. I do not understand what could be wrong here? All the wire going to starter is good, all connection are good. There is a wire that runs over to an electric box under hood that has a lot of fuses and relays in it. There is a starter relay in this box. Do you think this could be the problem. I figured if the relay was bad, it would not even roll over. What do you guys think??????????. Help me out guys
Sam
Old 12-09-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
garold99

If you only changed the connector clamps on the positive battery cable then it still might be a bad positive battery cable. Might be broken or burnt or have some corrosion on the inside of the insulation somewhere and the outside still look fine.

Last edited by garold99; 12-09-2004 at 01:35 PM.
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
sam's 72

Found the problem! It is the starter. This starter was bought last night from a Chevy dealer ship. I pulled it off and took it down for testing, came back no good! Waiting for my son to come home and go get his money back or get another starter. I have had this happen now four time in my life of working on these trucks. It is a crying shame that we can not get quality parts any more. Thanks for all the outsourcing, but that another subject!
Sam