The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Strange Brake Bleeding issue.

Ok guys, So I replaced the cut brake line and im trying to bleed the brakes. But something really strange is happening. I bled the brakes last night again after I tried to temp fix and that was a no go, it was leaking a little so I just went ahead and replaced everything. But I tried to just move it out of the garage and when I turned on the motor the pedal went straight to the floor and only broke when It was pretty much all the way down. Like 90% of it was just some dead spot.

So I figured I just needed to do it right. I put the new line in tonight and im trying to bleed it now. I have the valve open at the rear right wheel and I pump the brakes and Nothing, im lucky to get just a tiny bit of fluid out.

I have power brakes and checked all the vaccum connections, but that should have nothing to do with anything when the car is off.

Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:29 PM   #2
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

from what i know, you dont want to pump the brakes for the rearlines. here is how i recently did mine when i put my axle back in and put on a ss braided line in the back.

with the truck having sat for a while, i pumped the brakes to just get rid of the vacuum that was there. then i had my dad push in on the pedal while i opened up the line. when no more air/fluid came out i shut the valve and had him let off the pedal. then we waited about 15 seconds without touching the pedal and did it again.

i did that about 6 times and each side and it worked great
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
leastbay

im not exactly sure your problem but when i did some brakes a couple months ago i went out and got a cheap vacuum pump from autozone and just hooked a hose to the nipple it gave me better results than i have ever gotten with pumping them.
leastbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Yeah, turns out I just had to pump the crap out of the pedal, LOTS of air in there. They are better now, Ill need to do each side a couple more times to tighten them up. How would one do the vaccum thinger? Put it on the nipple, depress the line turn on, then tighten it up?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
leastbay

yeah just take the cap off of your master cylinder and get a little wrench to fit the nipple that way you can turn it with the hose on there and just hook up a small rubber hose like aquarium tubing loosen the nipple and start pumping just make sure you keep fluid in the master cylinder after you pumped it a couple times just tighten the nipple with the tubing still on there and your brakes should snap your neck if you do all 4.
leastbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:11 AM   #6
75stepside
*Proud Member*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbaud
here is how i recently did mine when i put my axle back in and put on a ss braided line in the back...
where'd you get your s/s line? i need to get a couple ss lines made for my disc brake setup i just put in the back.
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 AM   #7
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

summit racing
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote