The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
WhiteLX

Going to look at a 69 stepsite tomorrow, need tips

I am going to take a look at a 69 C-10 shortbed stepside tomorrow evening. I need some tips on what to look for on it. Previously I had taken my time looking all over, but since I am going to look at it in the dark (bad I know), I need to know some specific areas to watch for. I am taking a big halogen lamp as well as a 4-D Maglite. The seller also said he has big lights, so hopefully there will be enough light.

If the truck is decent I will go back this weekend for a 2nd look.

It is a straight 6 with a 3spd manual transmission that has a floor shifter. I am sure that has been converted, which is something I would have done anyway.

Is there anything specific about the I-6 or stepside bed I should look for?

I'll try to get some pictures of this one too.

Also, what is involved in putting a SBC in place of the I-6? I just happen to have a spare 355 SBC sitting in a bag.

WhiteLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
dwaite72lnghrn

Welcome I see you are fairly new. The normal places for RUST. Rocker panels, Cab corners, Floor panels near the kick panel(front right/left by door hinges), Inner roof near the front corners and windshield (also look for glass smoking on edges means glass laminate separating). Get under it and look at cab mounts, inner rockers, frame rust through. Bedsides rust through, step mounts solid. Under hood look at core support rust through at the mounts and under the battery.
Interior most people look for a cutup dash where the radio goes, Unless you want the original radio not a big problem but a price change to the purist. Check the brake pedal/clutch/gas pedal for feel and travel. Don't mention the V8 swap as you can dicker on price if the I6 smokes or runs rough. Pop the hood and look for wire harness chop job, This means he or PO has had problems and has messed with it.
Then you have to decide if you can pay the price or dicker for the things that are wrong. You have to go into it knowing what the going prices are in your area for similar trucks. I take distance into account, Like something in a little better condition might be more but travel and transport would make the better unit not such good buy. JMO dave
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne

Last edited by dwaite72lnghrn; 12-14-2004 at 07:36 AM. Reason: dopey sentence
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

On the Stepsides,they can rust(even in CA)at the bottom of the bedside seam,above the step if crud has been left to lay for years.Check the fenders where they meet the sides,inside and out.Also check for wobble in the sides with the tailgate down.Look for tell-tale signs off repair at bottoms of the rear stansions.The V8 will bolt-up to the 3spd,or you could bolt in a car-type 4spd.Using an automatic requires a lengthened driveshaft(easy mod),or find a 2pc set-up from a 6-footer w/auto.Either way you,ll need the crossmember from an auto set-up.You can bolt V8 in directly to I6 mounts,but distributor will be into the firewall.Firewall may need"custom-hammering".The V8 mount uses the holes about 2 1/2"forward(reason for stretching d-shaft).

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
chevman-67

also check the rear trailing arms to the rearend it looks like a I beam make sure that they are not swelled are rotten they have a habit of getting junk inbetween and rusting out as well as looking under the dash in the 2 corners if possible they have been known to rust there as well as is the rear of cab along the the back between the cab cornersalso make sure all cross members are straight I have seen it many times over looked in the front and afterwards noticed that somone has hooked a chain around it and its all twisted up from being towed at somtime or other.and dont forget the fuse panel very important as you dont want to find some melted blob or cut up wires or you will be replacing your harness.
gm's are #1

1967 chevrolet short step
1988 chev 4x4 1/2 ton
1989 gmc 1/2 ton
1991 chev 1/2 ton 4x4
1993 Jeep grand cherokee 4x4
And yes a 94 Ford Mustang.
chevman-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

One place many people don't look is under the winshield rubber inside the cab. Pull the lip down along the top of the inside of the cab. look for loose rust and holes. I have seen several nice trucks, until I look under the windshield rubber....this area is very difficult to repair. No patch panels that I know of.........
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Blue Beard

What are they asking for the unit? Be sure it's ballpark for the condition.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
One place many people don't look is under the winshield rubber inside the cab. Pull the lip down along the top of the inside of the cab. look for loose rust and holes. I have seen several nice trucks, until I look under the windshield rubber....this area is very difficult to repair. No patch panels that I know of.........
not to hijack his post,but doesnt lmc make this piece? I gotta replace mine in the future.
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote