The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
garold99

Transmission or U-Joint?

For most of the year I have had a noise off and on under my truck. I figured it was the U-joint next to the tranny going bad. So since I dont really drive this truck for extended period of times, I have been trying to put it off changing. Well a couple months ago I start getting some vibration when I hit between 40 and 70, so I usually stay around 40. Anyhow I figure its time to change the U-Joint before the drive shaft leaves me unexpectedly.

Well last couple weeks the noise has been more consistant, kinda like the bearing in the U-Joint tinging together. Today I drove it about 20 miles and when I got home I checked again on the noise. Now it sounds like its comming from the torque converter, or like a piece of metal sitting on my fly wheel. But it only happens when it is in gear, either D or R. This noise didnt really start till after I replaced the starter recently. Or at least it wasnt as loud or constant as now.

My question is this. What does a torque converter sound like or do if it is going bad? Or is this just a U-Joint problem and maybe the noise is transmitting through the metal to the front of the tranny?

I know sometimes the truck feels like my rear end is lower geared than it normally feels.

Thanks
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote