The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

You Guyz JINXED Me!!!!!!!!

I swear to the great powers that be, yesterday I was reading here everybody whining about their tranny lines popping, you know 'cause they used fuel line instead of ATF proof hose. Well...... I was thinking, hmmm too bad, mine have lasted almost 5 years, no problem. Welllllll You guessed it! TODAY, I jumped in the ol' Hoss to run down to the lumber store for 10 more sheets of drywall for my old garage project and SPA-YOOOOIE!!!! ATF all over the place! If I hadn't thought it was pretty damned funny I woulda been PO'd. Had to go and get a bunch of sawdust and clean up my street. Then I went to NAPA and got some Tranny Cooler Gates hose. Was that the stuff that failed on some of you guys? Well, it oughta last longer than the Fuel line!
Too funny guys. Less than 24 hours later!! You guys are JINXES!!!!!

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Chanukah to all y'all!! Hunter
Old 12-23-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
c-1072

Tranny lines

Just qurious why does anyone even consider useing rubber lines instead of steel . I have never used it unless it was for a short jumper hose . I worked at a tranny place for a few years and saw too many trannys sold due to rigged up lines that leaked . Trannys are too expensive these days do yourself a favor spen the thirteen bucks and bend up some steel ones . jmo
c-1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

I DID buy steel lines, then TRY TO BEND THEM to look like factory ones! Ain't no way. The rubber lines in my truck ARE jumpers, about 12" long. Did the job as clean as I could. Wasn't what I would call "rigged", and I'm pretty particular. Like I said, lasted over 5 years. Installation didn't fail, fuel line did. H
Old 12-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

c-1072, you ever used the hoses that were made for 300 psi hyd lines? It's way easier than bending steel lines.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
c-1072

high pressure hose

I use the high pressure hose all the time where i work we have the hose and fittings on hand at all times . I work for the town so i fix just about anything with a motor . I make the hoses for payloaders plows you name it , i dont realy consider that as your run of the mill rubber line nor was i implying that hunters truck was rigged in anyway . i think if you want to use the speacial rubber trans line you should be very particular in the fittings you choose to secure them as i know first hand a reagular hose clamp will loosen over time .
c-1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Being one that has bought a few trannys due to bad lines,I always use steel,it's cheap,and lasts nearly forever.

Glad I have a 4 speed now ,at times
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:54 AM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

Yeah I had One Come Off One Time Caught A little ATF On Fire It Sucked Bad I Managed To get the fire Swatted Out All Of Wich Took Place On The Side Of The Road.
It Could Have Been Alot Worse I Know A Few Boys Around here That Had Trucks Burn To The Ground Due To Trans Lines Being Cheap Rubber Hose And Coming Off Or Bursting Hard To Say There Wasnt Anything Left To Examine The Cause.

After That Incident i Got All new Steel Lines Ran Them All The Way To The Front Of The Truck Then Used Cooler Hose To My Cooler Double Hose Clamped Everything Havent had A Problem Since But If A Hose Does Come Off At Least It Wont Spray All Over My Headers.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:26 AM   #8
71chevylongbed
Got Horsepower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972C10
Yeah I had One Come Off One Time Caught A little ATF On Fire It Sucked Bad I Managed To get the fire Swatted Out All Of Wich Took Place On The Side Of The Road.
It Could Have Been Alot Worse I Know A Few Boys Around here That Had Trucks Burn To The Ground Due To Trans Lines Being Cheap Rubber Hose And Coming Off Or Bursting Hard To Say There Wasnt Anything Left To Examine The Cause.

After That Incident i Got All new Steel Lines Ran Them All The Way To The Front Of The Truck Then Used Cooler Hose To My Cooler Double Hose Clamped Everything Havent had A Problem Since But If A Hose Does Come Off At Least It Wont Spray All Over My Headers.
how about having your alternator bracket bolt break causing the alt to drop down ripping a hole in the power steering hose and spraying oil all over the red hot headers and everything else lucky i didnt have a fire on that one just a huge cloud of smoke that didnt allow me to see anything while i was running down the freeway. i always carry a fire extinguisher now
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4 inch lift, 35" Toyo MT's on Ultra wheels, P-Pump Conversion, AFE intake, Fass, 5 inch exhaust, Pyro,Boost,and Fuel pressure guages, and a whole bunch of other stuff "The Money Pit"

SOLD-71 Chevy C10 long bed- 2/4 drop-- 350,th400, Edelbrock performer RPM intake,Edelbrock 600 CFM carb,Crower 240 cam,port and polish,Dynomax headers,HEI ignition,dual 2.5 inch exhaust with Flowmaster 50 series mufflers
71chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-1072
...i dont realy consider that as your run of the mill rubber line nor was i implying that hunters truck was rigged in anyway . i think if you want to use the speacial rubber trans line you should be very particular in the fittings you choose to secure them as i know first hand a reagular hose clamp will loosen over time .
OK, it just looked like you were saying that no rubber is god rubber.
His truck wasn't rigged as far as I'm concerned either...just bad luck mostly I guess.
The tranny lines (rubber) and fittings I have on the one ton are from the Parker Store...I can't remember the name of the lines, but they have barbed fittings and you just pop the hose over the fitting and you're good to go. Awsome stuff.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
Tim Christian

Prebent lines are just like 45.00
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:45 AM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

5 years is a long time! I can't even seem to make a starter last more than a year.....
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote