The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
johnje

Late XMas present

I missed my goal by one day, but my GMC runs (nicely) for the first time since I got it. :-)

When I towed it out of a barn, it didn't run. One hour and a new battery later, it ran... poorly. I pulled the heads, and discovered several bent pushrods.

Had the heads checked, rusty bits replaced, new pushrods, disassembled/clean/reassembled the rocker assemblies. Ordered one of those Holly carbs recommended by www.6066gmctrucks.org/holley.htm. Wow is that thing huge.

(Small delay while an intake manifold crack was repaired.)

Spent two afternoons putting everything back together. Did my first valve adjustment. (I had no idea it would be so trivial.) Changed the oil (ohmygosh that oil was DISCUSTING), oil filter, new plugs, new (clear!) gas filter, new gas. The engine started immediately, and idled beautifully for 10 minutes, when I shut it off.

There are a couple things I need to sort out, but expect to take it on its first drive in many, many years. When I'm done grinning over my newly running motor, I'll likely have a few questions for the forum. Especially others with the V6 motors!

Thanks to everyone on the forum, I've enjoyed reading tidbits of valuable information. I would also like to put a plug in for the friendly folks at Whitman Engines, in Kirkland, WA (www.whitmanengines.com). They did a fabulous job on the heads, intake manifold repair, and tanked many parts as I randomly brought them over.

John
johnje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 03:33 AM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Congrats on breathing new life into the monster.It's always a good feeling to finally get to hear the bad boy come alive
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Congratulations. I hope to fire mine for the first time in about a year this week. Hope I have the same luck you did.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote