The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
RainFade

Question Convert wood floor fleetside to steel floor ?

Can this be done, and if so what parts would I need ?
My bed wood is shot and honestly i'd prefer a steel floor and have it Line-X'd
I'm guessing beyond the steel floor the panel at the front of the bed but wonder what else.
Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question, but I AM a stupid newbie

My lame K20 page

My lame Eaton disc brake page

RainFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
robert wright

Not a stupid question at all. I'm trying to visualize the difference. I've replaced the wood in a longhorn, and have 2 steel bed trucks. I believe that the bed support beams are tack welded to the actual steel floor, but are bolted to the bedsides with the wood floor. The wood strips bolt through pre-drilled holes in the beams. If I'm not mistaken, the stock steel bed has a downturned lip around the left/front/right side where the bedsides/front panel bolt to. The wood bed uses an L channel directly above the wood to bolt through the wood. I'd assume that if you replace the wood with steel, you may want to replicate the lip like the stock steel bed. If you welded it to the woodbed "L" channel there might be a gap between the steel and the support beams.

Like to know what you decide to do.

70 chev short/fleet:son's hotrod w/tickets to prove it
69 gmc short/step: project in pieces
87 chev short/step: still thinking about
2000 gmc xcab/step: daily driver
robert wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

with a complete steel floor, & front box panel, it should be a bolt in. I converted my longhorn to a steel floor(all custom).....what i found was that the box cross sillls are 2 1/4" tall on the wood version, to accept a pc of wood (several pcs of wood), that are roughly 3/4" thick. On the steel floor, the box cross sills are right at 3" in height(&are welded to the floor ), as already posted. i used a combo of 2x3, 2x2, & a 3x3 , all 1/8" wall steel tubing, to build the cross sills on my longhorn. there a couple shots here.... http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
neonlarry

A steel floor, splash guards from a steel floor truck(they are different) and a set of SS bolts(you will probably have to cut or break off most of the originals). You can get by with your headboard by getting a piece of ¾" square stock to use as a spacer between the steel bed and the lip of your stock headboard(just be sure to POR 15 it) . Both beds have welds from the rear cross sill to the bedsides(about 1").
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote