The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2004, 03:51 AM   #1
6(sic)6

Exclamation NEED INFO: Removal of bed ?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿

Im planing on removing the bed of my truck tommaro morning, so I can put my airbag setup in.

It has a roll pan, welded in, so I plan on taking it off as one WHOLE piece.

Can someone please tell me how to take it off? and where the bolts are located? any "TRICKS" ?¿

ALL info is appreciated,

Thanks, Ryan
Attached Images

lowerd
6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
lost wages

if your not going to redo the frame for a large c notch, id leave the bed on, otherwise there are six bolts, tail light wiring and some ground straps to remove. and get you and 3 other guys, these trucks have alot of steel in them.
lost wages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Vince M

I used an engine hoist and some ratchet straps. One man job. Mine was a long bed. The ratchets help level everything out so you can pck it up level.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
71swb4x4

I did my short bed this fall. 8 bolts, and the wiring harness and ground straps listed above. Very easy. I would recomend you and 3 others as well.
I removed my rear tires and dropped the rear onto wood blocks and put jackstands on the frame. Not having the tires there made it a whole lot easier. I have removed my bed with the tires and without, take them off.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
6(sic)6

thanks.
lowerd
Old 12-29-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
robert wright

I've taken the bed off my 70 4 times. 1st time with my son and me using 2x6s and alot of effort. I DON't recommend it, at best you'll kill your back, at worst you'll drop your nice bed. Last 3 times were a breeze. Unbolt the 8 bed bolts (and buy new ones, you'll do this again), unplug the taillights. Measure the bed's width inside underneath the bed lip and cut a 4x4 that will fit. The 4x4 should be wide enough to fit easily under the bed rails. In the center place a STOUT eye bolt (don't skimp here). Take the tailgate off and use an engine hoist from the rear. If the bed is free you can lift it easily with the 4x4 from the center. It takes a couple tries to find the balance but works like a charm.

Tips from doing this: don't do it on asphalt..the engine hoist wheels make a pretty nice divot in your driveway....and don't roll. lift the bed, then drive the truck out from under it...you can do it the other way around, but you'd be suprised how much space it takes to manuever a bed around your truck. this will work with the tailgate on, but you'll bang your tailgate on the hoist. after the truck is moved, lower the bed before moving it around...and plan a good place to be able to put it.

70 chev short/fleet:son's hotrod w/tickets to prove it
69 gmc short/step: project in pieces
87 chev short/step: still thinking about
2000 gmc xcab/step: daily driver
robert wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:05 PM   #7
longnlow72

i unbolted the bed and used a comalong hangin from the rafters on each side, lifted it up, drove out from under it and put it on saw horses.

Ben
72 Chevy lwb, cowl hood, shaved antenna, shaved bedrails, blazer tank, sidemarker fill, 1pc windows, flowmaster 40's, alpine deck, infinity 6x9's, infinity 4"ers, 2 jl audio 10w0's, grant wheel, keyless entry and alarm, more waiting to be done...
longnlow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
6(sic)6

Another reason for taking the bed off, is, that it NEEDS new cab corners.
but as for now, now that i know that it doesnt need to be taken off for the notch. ill wait till i get the cab corners,..
THANKS, Ryan
lowerd